Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Regenexx Stem cell procedure for L3/4 in the Main forums forums; With everything I have had with my spine (ADR L4/5 and L5/S1, posterior decompression of L4/5 and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Default Regenexx Stem cell procedure for L3/4

With everything I have had with my spine (ADR L4/5 and L5/S1, posterior decompression of L4/5 and L5/S1 after ADR, piriformis muslce removal, SI joint / ligament PRP injections), you would think I would learn. But no I overdid things in my yard (had an ax out cutting bushes). I ended up with some tingling in my L3/4 area and some weakness in front of thigh (L4 nerve?). I have an MRI from 2008 that shows L3/4 as some bulging with some facet hypertrophy. No big dela I had hoped. This has been going on for 6 weeks. I have decied to get a new MRI, start PT, and schedule a Regenexx stem cell disc procedure at L3/4. I will keep my results posted for others. By the way I have had good success with the Regenexx procedure for both my knees and my shoulder.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/8/09 Piriformis surgery for sciatica and cramping
Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM

Seems like we never learn. When we're feeling good, life is normal but for many of us, life will never be the same normal it was but a new definition. Still, we think we can do it all and try - only to be pushed down on are asses to try yet another day.

Good luck with your on your new procedure and yes, please keep us posted.

Dale
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Rob, nice to see you here, but I'm so sorry that you are still in it!

I hope to hear more about Regenexx.

Your phone is ringing.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Default oops

Interested to hear more about the stem cell procedure for L3/4 plays out for you. Seems like we never learn when it comes to overdoing when feeling good! Ok.. I'll stay away from axes from now on!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:00 AM

I previously read the regenexx site info and viewed the posted images. Reversal of disc degeneration, which is what we think we should see, does not appear clear cut, not to me at least.

They often seem to credit the procedure to reduction in disc protrusion/extrusion however disc resorption is a natural process often observed in follow up radiology. So questions start springing to my mind when stem cell injection is being credited for it. Additionally you don't know if the images are "cherry picked". I imagine they would be.

In time Mesoblast might have an off the shelf stem cell disc injection product that does not require costly and painful harvesting and expanding stem cells from your own body. How good any of this stem cell technology is for real life disc conditions, if at all, remains to be seen. Like most other back surgery the only certainty is that the doctors and companies involved will profit greatly.

Below is Mesoblast article and images. After initial enthusiasm I now think this largely is a gimmick, aimed at attracting investors more than anything else. Until it is demonstrated in real life degeneration, not artificially chemically induced short term degeneration, I am a skeptic.
They are proposing “Phase 2 Disc Repair trial in 48 patients aimed for Q3 2010” It only has any potential for early stage DDD.

Mesoblast Limited (ASX:MSB) Proprietary Stem Cells Successfully Repair/Regenerate Damaged Intervertebral Disc Cartilage
Old 08-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Crystal,

Thanks for the info. Just an FYI I have had Regenexx to my knee (regrew cartilage) and shoulder (repaired partial tear) so I am a witness to its viability. I am not sure about the Regenexx disc procedure. I believe that they only inject the annulus not the nucleus so it is not really regeneration as much as srengthening the outer disc? I am not sure. I will find out. Desperate people do desperate things.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM

I got my MRI results back and they don't show any changes to the L3/4 disc from 12/08. Therefore my pain is most likely due to SI joint, SI ligaments and iliolumbar ligament strains. I have gotten some improvement with physical therapy (extension/flexion machine and decompression machine). I am scared to do any RF since it is more of a band aid. I want the tissue to heal not to just kill it. Any thoughts? I will probably try some prolotherapy and PRP as well.