Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss tight hamstrings in the Main forums forums; has anyone felt tight hamstrings after surgery? cant tell if it's from all the sitting/laying down, or some ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Default tight hamstrings

has anyone felt tight hamstrings after surgery? cant tell if it's from all the sitting/laying down, or some variation of distraction pain.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:36 PM

Hi M,

Welcome - tight hamstrings is ususally common to all lumbar spineys. Has yours changed?

A great hamstring stretch - sit on a couch, bed... with one foot on the floor, the other straight on the couch. Sit facing the outstretched leg, your back straight. Outstretch your arm, parallel to your leg, the other arm resting in your lap. Lean forward as far as you can, keeping your back straight, touching your toes if possible. Do not bounce. Hold that position for 10 seconds (or longer) and repeat twice. Do the other leg.

This is very non-invasive of any other body part and requires no strain. You can do this several times a day-
Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 AM

Default hamstrings

worse AFTER surgery, however i've been stretching my hamstrings (amongst other muscles) every morning for 12 years. this might have been the longest "break" i've had to take. i was too afraid of aggravating my back. this morning i did my usual return, but the hams are super tight. keep in mind that tomorrow i'll only be TWO WEEKS POST-OP so i'm probably "ahead of the game", as Mark M. reminds me. BUT it's good to know that this is common for other folks.