Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Axialif Revision in the Main forums forums; Hello, I had Axialif L5-S1 fusion 8/31/09. Back pain went away for about 10 months. Leg numbness ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Axialif Revision

Hello,

I had Axialif L5-S1 fusion 8/31/09. Back pain went away for about 10 months. Leg numbness remained, but was a bit improved. July-August, about a year later, back pain is back and intense, basically same as pre-fusion. I saw a new surgeon who said Axialif has a high-failure rate after the first 12-18 months, and I probably will need a revision. I have MRI and myelogram scheduled. He said the main screw is probably loose and the fusion probably did not complete on the inside.
Has anyone had an Axialif revision? What were your results? I also do not understand how the main screw being loose causes pain, if the outer area is fused. I'll have my test results in a couple of weeks. Overall, this is beyond disappointing.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Hi Donnac23,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Others may chime in about your failed fusion. I'm sorry you find you need to be here.

Have your tests and find out what's going on- and go from there. I agree this is beyond disappointing but even if another surgery is necessary, at least it can be fixed. Easy words to say, I know, but sometimes we can only look ahead.

Good luck and let us know about your test results.

Dale
Old 10-24-2010, 06:47 PM

Dale, Thank you for the support. I feel very confident in this new doctor. He seemed to immediately recognize my symptoms and was thoroughly familiar with Axialif problems. I'll post test results when received.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:02 PM

Default re fusion

Are you fused or is there non union issues? Is the screw impinging on anything? It would seem that a loose screw would be like a loose cannon.. potential for problems which it must have created somehow tho did the surgeon you saw say exactly how?

Not that I know anything about this type of particular fusion however just wondering and sorry to hear that you have to have a revision. Will you be getting a 2nd opinion or more opinions even if satisfied with surgeon, findings and recommendation? No other probs noted at other disc levels?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Hi Maria - This surgeon said he felt the main screw was moving around and that the fusion may have only occurred on the exterior areas. I am getting MRI and ct scan shortly for him. I may get a second opinion, but not with the original surgeon. The original surgeon refused to order MRI with sedation after I reported my new pain symptoms to his office. I found that disconcerting, as that is how he ordered it for me prior to surgery. His nurse told me he doesn't do that. When I brought up that he had done so last year, she couldn't give me an answer as to why. I felt he didn't really want to hear that the surgery failed.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Donna, I've spent a lot of time with a failed AXIALIF client. He still has not had a revision. I'd like to compare notes.

Do you have a bone density issue?

Do you have additional hardware (screws and rods?)

Are they sure pain is not L4-5?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 10-25-2010, 09:54 PM

I don't know of a bone density issue. I have 2 facet screws and a main screw between l5-s1. I have ct scan on Monday and am trying to get MRI soon!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Forgot to mention, had l5-s1 discectomy 1 yr before this fusion.