Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Checking in - 18 months post op w/ Dr. Bertagnoli in the Main forums forums; Hey everyone!! I just received an email from a member asking for insurance help, so I thought I'd take ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 AM

Default Checking in - 18 months post op w/ Dr. Bertagnoli

Hey everyone!! I just received an email from a member asking for insurance help, so I thought I'd take a moment and check in...

I'm actually 19 months post-op, and I'm doing really well. I am still having some issues with my SI joints, but with regular visits to my chiropractor and massage therapist, they are gradually getting better. I recently had a bit of a set back when I slipped on some stairs and jarred everything pretty good, but I've had a couple of SI injections, and things are (hopefully) getting back on track...prior to the injury, I was in the gym 4-5 days/week, on the treadmill walking 2 miles per day at 3.7 mph at a 10-12% incline. Since the injury, not so much, but REALLY looking forward to getting back in there, and hopefully it won't be much longer.

Only occasional pain meds, however, I've noticed something very strange...after years of just dealing with pain with little to no meds, it seems my pain tolerance has increased to a point where regular pain meds (i.e.OTC meds) don't work for me at all. If the pain level is below a 7, I don't take anything, and even if it is above a 7, it has to stay there for a few days before I'll be desperate enough to take something. Currently, the only thing that helps (if it's not nerve pain) is Opana ER 20 mg, but I take it very sparingly; my most recent Rx was for 2 pills X 2/day and it lasted me almost a year.

I really wish I had more time to post, but (as many of you know) I was laid off from my job upon returning from Germany, and after finally finding one (at a SUBSTANTIAL pay decrease), it turned out that I can only move into management if I have my degree...I only lack a year and a half to complete it, so now I'm working full-time, going to school full-time and tending to my beautiful family that includes 7 children...so to all of you who helped me through my insanity leading up to my surgery, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! It was not for naught! I have my life back and I'm able to go 150 mph again!

I love you all, and I've referred many people in this direction.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
Jess

MRI 4/2008 shows bulging disc with annular tear @ 4/L5 and and complete herniation at L5/S1.

9/11/08 Laminectomy , successful to a point...relieved nerve pain, but after 4 months was still having severe disc pain.

Treatments tried: epidural shots, oral pain killers, NSAID's, TENS massage, chiropractic care, deep tissue massage. Oh, and plenty of our homemade wine!

May 26 2009, 2 level ADR, L4-S1, Dr. Bertagnoli, Straubing, Germany
Old 12-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Hi Jess and thanks for updating,

Sorry about your all and hope you're doing better everyday. I know I fear even tripping!

You have a lot on your plate and it must be great to handle it all - here's to 2011 - may it be great for us all.

Dale
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 PM

Default hi jess

thank you for your update.i have been trying to get well for over three years. i have been through the ringer as well. i am so glad that you were able to go to Germany. i have heard and read a lot of good remarks about this doctor. i wish i had the money to go see him. i am having to get back into pain mgt. i hate taking pills! i have been on everything that ends with cet, ine, and well you see where this is going? i too drink alot of wine. that is why lyrica would not work for me. i only have few very pleasures any more, take my wine away and whats the point? keeping the hope, cheryl