Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Novalgin in the Main forums forums; Anyone ever taken this stuff before? It's not allowed in the US. It's an NSAID, but also a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 AM

Default Novalgin

Anyone ever taken this stuff before? It's not allowed in the US. It's an NSAID, but also a powerful analgesic and antipyretic. Metamizole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm almost finished with my second bottle, and since I can't get a refill in the US, does anyone know of another analgesic? I tried Tylenol (acetaminophen) a couple of times in Germany, but it doesn't seem to do much for me.
BTW: I'm allergic to both Codeine and Vicadin.
ALSO, I'm taking Celebrex and it seems to work really well with inflamation, and no stomach pain too.
I'M LOOKING FOR SOMETHING "EXTRA" FOR WHEN THE PAIN BRAKES THROUGH.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Default don't think so

Not sure what I was given when in Mexico and back went out (fell in BR hitting my head on counter/floor and passed out then woke up and back was out so Dr.came to house w/packets of something that helped greatly). That was back in 1995 anyway.

That being said I do buy some meds in Mexico because price is much cheaper and because I cannot get it here in states (even if given here such as can't even get a prescription for injectable Toradol here but have bought it OTC in Mexico).

I won't be back in CA for a while tho can ask one of my friends that goes to Mexico regularly to see doctors and for scripts if it's sold there OTC. It seems regulations are changing even in Mexico re OTC meds however and one needs a script from a physician tho not sure if it has to be from a physician in Mexico or a physician in states would do or other location.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:27 AM
Administrator

Micky, I've seen the German clinics using this for years. As the patients transition off of the harder opiates... the 'drops' are an important part of the pain management regimen.

Thanks for posting the wikipedia link. I've seen the US and Germany in lock step over most of the changing medical issues I've been acquainted with... both adopting changes within weeks of the World Health Organization (WHO) recommendations. It was interesting to read that many nations (including the US) have banned this med, while others use it as a first-line analgesic in hospitals and still others allow it to be sold over the counter. (I've never seen a bad reaction to this med in the literally hundreds of people I know who've gone to germany for surgery.)

Mark

PS... I'm moving this thread to the main forum... leaving the surgical outcomdes forum to discussions about outcomes. (The distinction is not always clear.)
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org