Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss infection! in the Main forums forums; my incision wound has become infected. DR gave my antibiotics. It HURTS! It feels worse than after surgery! Anyone suffered ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 02:42 PM

Default infection!

my incision wound has become infected. DR gave my antibiotics. It HURTS! It feels worse than after surgery! Anyone suffered this? I should have kept the bandages on during the day, as all the RUBBING from pants, PJs, even undies, have aggravated it. Starting to ooze.
I'm started sleeping in my "birthday suite" b/c the pressure of wearing anything around my waist is murder.
Also wearing the bandages again.
Any other advice?
Outcome: Semi-successful.
2010, December 14th: ADR--2 level Activ L with Dr. Zeegers, L4-L5 & L5-S1.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM

I'm sure your doctor gave you instructions. Best suggestion is to follow them.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:10 PM

Default re follow doc's instructions

Wound care instructions are usually given upon discharge. Keeping a wound free from infection is usually to keep it clean and dry altho the doctor may have given you some further instructions. Your doctor did see the wound area and give you instructions I'm thinking. Please follow them as Dale stated.

Keep pressure off the area from your clothing. When the area is covered or uncovered one usually keeps any type of clothing or pressure from clothing off the area. I imagine you are not lying on your stomach or back whichever area you have infected incision/wound.

Loose comfortable clothing that does not rub or irritate. Drawstring pants that go below the area would probably be best and if covered something light that may drape but not fit tightly over.

As antibiotics kick in hopefully it should start to feel better tho that depends on how irritated things are and if it's a deeper tissue infection than just surface.

Monitor your temperature and it should stay below 101 F when on antibiotics. Note the color, odor and amt. of oozing and duration. All should should improve with antibiotics within a few days to a week-10 days. Should you have a fever over 101, the area becomes more reddened, and/or painful and ooze more purulent type of material you will want to notify your doctor.

Hopefully you have a follow up visit soon or a visiting nurse that can check on you. Don't start any meds on your own w/o consulting with your doctor or pharmacist re decreasing effect of antibiotic medication or interfering with absorbtion. Good luck. Find a nice pillow that you can make yourself comfortable with and keep the pressure off that area, keep it clean and dry and make sure you're aware of changes for the worse (and better too). Hope the infection clears up quickly.

Last edited by Maria; 01-05-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:49 PM

Default Godness

No, I have three neck surgeries and never had a problem with wound care. Wound, sounds like we were shot or something....Anyway, you may try a cold dry compress. Make sure that you do not place it directly on your skin. That may help any swelling. Be sure to continue to follow your doctors discharge instructions. Take ALL of those anti-biotics as directed! Has it worsed since your doc gave you the anti-biotics? You haven't gone bathing, right??? Pat dry after your shower, do not rub. If you see any red lines running from the wound site around the skin, go to the doctor immediately.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 AM
Administrator

What doctor gave you antibiotics? What did he/she say was the next step... checkpoint? Are you running a fever?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-08-2011, 02:01 PM

Default Wondering how you are..

How're are you feeling since starting the antibiotics? Is the wound site improving a bit re discomfort/pain/oozing? Hope so.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Administrator

any progress?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Sorry for delay. Returned to work on Wednesday:that my stomach pain was more prominent than my back pain was actually encouraging.
BUT Friday night was hell: every single movement felt as though my wound was being RIPPED even more. The next day? It WAS bigger. What stared as a small hole tripled in size. Thankfully, Saturday I was a Dermatologist.
She was concerned about the HOLE, but rather the infection. Although I had already began a course of antibiotics, she started my on another. She said I have 2 days to "flip it"; otherwise I'll have to go to the hospital to receive antibiotics via IV.
On a very good note, the pain is almost nil! I'm very happy about that! Both my front and back are feeling stronger.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 AM

Be sure to stay active in watching that infection. You should also know, though there has been some discussion both ways, to take a/b an hour prior to dentist's appointment, even for cleaning. Your dentist should provide a prescription for you.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 PM

Smile sutures removed!

Dermatologist removed subcutaneous sutures. feel much better. little to no blood. minimal pain. gave me a local (lydocaine?) and pulled 3 times: got most of them out.
Still 2 opinions RE wound care: Zeegers says use BUTTERFLY bandages to close the wound. American DRs say keep it open, let it heal from the bottom up--less risk for infection.