Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Back problems & gym....? in the Main forums forums; Im just curious,if someone go to gym with spine problems?? i must strength my muscle somehowe,altough...whatever i ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 02:21 PM

Default Back problems & gym....?

Im just curious,if someone go to gym with spine problems??
i must strength my muscle somehowe,altough...whatever i exercise it hurts...
any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 PM

First and foremost, if it hurts - don't do it!

I don't know what exercises you're doing at the gym. You might want to start with a physical therapist for the best and correct movements. You also might want to consider Pilates or Yoga- don't bend backward.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 PM

Default gym/back prob

Before I had my 2nd spine surgery or my second discectomy I used to work out at a gym regularly. Very modified however but regularly. And I definately was toned and in pretty good shape even with a limited and modified program that I structured to fit my own needs.

I had been a long time gym "rat" ever since I hurt my back so I just really tried to do things that didn't aggravate or exaccerbate my spine issues.

Also I had been through PT numerous times for both low back and knee probs and felt that when PT was over I still needed to exercise to keep my strength and tone.

I haven't been to a gym in a long time that being said. Now I just walk regularly and ride a bike sometimes. I would like to do some upper body toning but it does seem to ignite my neck probs when I use my arms in certain ways. Also the same thing with my low back. I pretty much know what exercises I cannot do that seem to really light my low back up as well.

I don't know what your spinal problem is and would not presume to tell you what you should or shouldn't do however I too think if it hurts it's probably not good for your injury(ies).

There is some amount of discomfort sometimes with getting back into shape but I stop at causing myself more pain or rather I should say also that causing myself more pain sometimes stops me from doing whatever it is/was again~ lesson learned!

There have been some good books listed on this forum with regard to knowing our body and some exercises that might be helpful although not everything that helps one person would be Ok or right for another person and his or her particular injury.

What I try to remember is to stay in neutral positioning (no extraneous movements that would create too much flexion or extension) and to work with my core. I swam for many years as well which helped my lumbar spine quite a bit and now bugs my cervical spine (breast stroke).

You say whatever or whenever you exercise you hurt.. maybe you're not ready or maybe you need to have PT evaluate what you're trying to do and see if there can be modifcations made that might help you?

Last edited by Maria; 05-11-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 AM

I agree if it hurts , don't do it. I was going to a physical therapist for a few years in a row between surgeries and very much needed his help. So if you can get to a physical therapist through your doctor that would be the best for your safety. You don't want to make things worse .
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Administrator

I've not been successful at an exercise program, but should keep trying. Any significant activity makes things worse.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
I've not been successful at an exercise program, but should keep trying. Any significant activity makes things worse.
Im signing the post...any activity makes pain worser...
so then...the point is...exercise or not ?!??? hmmmm...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Administrator

My point is that there is no good answer. Also, the answer changes day by day. We cannot park ourselves in front of the TV and let our brains and bodies turn to mush. But we have to deal with increased pain with activity. It is compounded by the fact that what was OK yesterday may not be OK today.

No answer... but keep trying. test the waters. dial back expectations. try to find the small wins or small amounts of exercise that won't flare us up.

Realize that there is no good answer, but you have to keep searching for it anyway.

I wish I had the magic bullet, but it does not exist.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 05-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Default are you taking

Anything for pain? I used to think I was doing better than other people because I didn't take any pain meds but I could hardly function at all. When I started taking pain medication and getting ESIs that seemed to help my tolerance for activity quite a bit and while some might have said.. oh be careful not to be too active or hurt your spine further I think that my body was dying for me to "dial up" activitity levels.

I didn't ever really get back into working out as in working out at the gym (after my 2nd spine surgery)tho at least I was able to increase my walking endurance which would have continued if not for bilateral posterior tibial tendonitis happening/flare ups. I can still walk a fair bit as long as that 's not flared up and can ride a bike which I couldn't do for years because of back pain. I don't push myself like I used to long ago just try to do something I can tolerate with regularity.

Upper body activity would be nice re toning tho I have to find what I can do that doesn't aggravate my neck. Lifting weight or even repetitive movement above my shoulders/head exaccerbate my neck pain.

Do you have neuropathies (take any meds for this?)?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 AM

Last year it was painful for me to even look at gym equipments but I was getting weak because of lack of movement.

I hired a trainer and started mild weight training. I am lucky that my trainer is very careful and takes care of my back. I improved my plank time as well as strengthened my upper back.

Again, I am lucky that my trainer is good. He CAREFULLY watches my tiniest movement. He picks exercises carefully and constantly touches my abs and back to make sure I have squeezed them. If one day I don't feel well, he gives me mild exercise.

It costs me a fortune though.

Does anybody know if I can claim it as a medical treatment? (it will be tax deductible)