Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss IMPORTANT - piriformis syndrome ALWAYS CAUSED by weak abdudctors + AL trigger points in the Main forums forums; Any doctor/surgeon that is checking for piriformis syndrome (including diagnosis via nerve imaging) should NOT just check for contracture ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Default IMPORTANT - piriformis syndrome ALWAYS CAUSED by weak abdudctors + AL trigger points

Any doctor/surgeon that is checking for piriformis syndrome (including diagnosis via nerve imaging) should NOT just check for contracture of the piriformis muscle BUT ALSO contracture of the adductor longus muscle in the same leg at or near the adductor canal, which is frequently also associated w/saphenous nerve neuropathy and saphenous vein compression.

It is ALMOST ALWAYS the case that sciatic nerve compression by the piriformis muscle is associated w/saphenous nerve compression by the adductor longus, because it's the contractured AL coupled w/a weak glute medius that CAUSES piriformis syndrome. There is really no other cause.

Attempting to cure piriformis syndrome non-surgically by ANY MEANS without also treating the AL muscle will therefore be doomed.

If you suspect you have sciatica of non-disc origin that is caused by the piriformis muscle of a leg, you MUST therefore also ask your doctor to look for saphenous nerve neuropathy/damage near the adductor canal of that same leg. Piriformis syndrome and AL syndrome go hand-in-hand.

IMHO, the condition should be called piriformis-longus syndrome.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:10 PM

Thank you Timmy and welcome to the forum,

Are you speaking from experience? If so, please tell us a little about yourself.

Dale
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 AM
Administrator

Timmy, welcome to the forum.

What is your frame of reference. You obviously have some knowledge of this that is far beyond what a typical layperson knows.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best,

Mark

PS... I hope you don't mind... I moved this to the main forum instead of surgical outcomes.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-07-2011, 03:41 PM

Default piriformis

Just recently diagnosed with piriformis , I know my abductors are really weak.I have been stretching and trying to build up my abductors with my PT.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Default Piriformis

Thanks for the advice. I already had my left sided piriformis removed. It worked ~ 75%. Now my right side is bothering me.

4/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 right
8/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L5/S1 left
12/08 Bonati Institute - redo of L4/5 right and left

9/09 Piriformis surgery to remove piriformis muscle causing sciatica