Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Dr. Serena Hu – spinal reconstruction surgeon extraordinaire! in the Main forums forums; Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to observe a very complex surgery with Dr. Serena Hu at UCSF. I’...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Default Dr. Serena Hu – spinal reconstruction surgeon extraordinaire!

Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to observe a very complex surgery with Dr. Serena Hu at UCSF. I’d known of her for many years. She performed a 3-level ProDisc surgery on a client of mine back in 2004, when almost NOBODY got 3-level lumbar ADR done in the US. She’s definitely an a-list surgeon, but until this year, I had no idea how amazing she is.

My recent client had a very complex scoliosis case. As expected, presentation to 4 surgeons yielded 5 opinions and 6 different surgical approaches. (Obviously, I’m joking, but the point is well founded… no consensus of opinions.)

There was a substantial amount of reconstruction required in this case and it was unclear to me how this would go. I can’t really post details but I cannot say enough about how brilliant Dr. Hu’s solution was, AND how perfectly she was able to execute a technically demanding (seemingly impossible) surgery. Before the surgery was over, I found myself thinking of how great her solution was, providing the best balance of maximum correction and balanced configuration of the patient’s spine, with the smallest possible surgery. Again, I can’t say enough about her.

I have another client who is an MD up in the Bay Area. A few days ago I was talking to her and I was gushing about how wonderful Dr. Hu is. I was not ready for her to gush right back to me. “Dr. Hu is one of the top 4 or 5 scoliosis surgeons in the country.”

I look forward to more opportunities to work with her! Not only is she a talented diagnostician and surgeon, but she is also very personable easy for the patients to communicate with. And, she takes most insurance!!!

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-17-2010, 05:09 PM

Default live and learn

Back in 2003 I went to UCSF and I was assigned Dr. Hu but wanted the Chief back then whom I cannot remember his name to see me and do the 2 level ADR.

Long story short he had shoulder surgery and couldn't do the surgery when it was auth'd then the trial ended and I missed out on that surgical opportunity plus WC took back the auth which took nearly 2 or 3 more years to get again.

Oh well! Glad to hear she's that wonderful~ we need all the absolutely wonderful spine surgeons we can have on this planet (and esp.so close) and hope that insurance will continue to pay for surgery when recommended!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Administrator

David Bradford was chief of spine at UCSF and started the ProDisc clinical trial there. I don't know if he's all the way retired now. For many years, he's been 'mostly retired'.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 AM

Default thanks

yes Mark that's right. I had that "I have to see the Chief" thing back then in terms of recommendation of who to do surgery. Oh well. He was very nice although he told me his shoulder surgery was pending and that he was going to retire soon. Back then I was glad that someone was even offering me the option of ADR vs.fusion!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Administrator

BTW, I spoke to the patient's mother a few weeks ago. He is fine... attending university now, playing water polo!

Mark
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM

Default wow!

Great to hear (read)!!!