Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Facet joint replacement in the Main forums forums; Does anyone know anything about this? I have been told most of my pain is from facet joints......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM

Default Facet joint replacement

Does anyone know anything about this? I have been told most of my pain is from facet joints...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Although

I also have signs of nerve or spinal cord involvementent due to the troble with my fingers and hands. Thus the reason for all caps. It is hard to type today.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 AM

Default My Uncle Had TFAS

I have an uncle in CT who had total facet arthroplasty system (tfas) a couple of years ago. He is doing well and it took care of his pain.

Thelma

Prodisc ADR L3-4-5, 08/2003 Dr. Bertagnoli
Failed Fusion C5-6 03/2005
Sarcoidosis
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Wow... Thelma, great to see you here. I hope all is well!

There are many different facet replacement systems in various stages of development. I understand that they work well, but only for facet pain. Most of the people who would require a facet replacement will have other degenerative changes that may be other pain generators.

A very interesting varient of the facet replacement is the total segment motion system. These systems combing an ADR with a facet replacement. I've seen the TSMS surgery performed several times over the last few years. It is NOT just another ADR that allows implantation via a posterior approach. This is a big and fairly brutal surgery that is very invasive.

www.GlobalPatientNetwork.com/devices/tsms.html

Cheryl, has your facet pain been proven with injections? I would think that facet blocks would be helpful. If they are positive, then facet rhizotomies could ablate the nerves going to the facets... possibly resolving your pain without surgery. (Relief from rhizotimies may be temporary... they seem to last a year or two, but can be redone.)

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-09-2012, 12:03 AM

Default failed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmglobal View Post
Wow... Thelma, great to see you here. I hope all is well!

There are many different facet replacement systems in various stages of development. I understand that they work well, but only for facet pain. Most of the people who would require a facet replacement will have other degenerative changes that may be other pain generators.

A very interesting varient of the facet replacement is the total segment motion system. These systems combing an ADR with a facet replacement. I've seen the TSMS surgery performed several times over the last few years. It is NOT just another ADR that allows implantation via a posterior approach. This is a big and fairly brutal surgery that is very invasive.

www.GlobalPatientNetwork.com/devices/tsms.html

Cheryl, has your facet pain been proven with injections? I would think that facet blocks would be helpful. If they are positive, then facet rhizotomies could ablate the nerves going to the facets... possibly resolving your pain without surgery. (Relief from rhizotimies may be temporary... they seem to last a year or two, but can be redone.)

All the best,

Mark
rhizotomy failed. the test blocks felt better than the rhizomty. i have aject level ddd from the fusions. i have stand alone peek cae at c3/4 and bone fusion with plate/screws at c4/5/6 - now my 6/7 t1 suck and my 2/3 doesn't look much better.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:17 AM

Default facet joint issue show in mri

i have had test blocks that lasted longer than the rhizotomy it did not helpme.