Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss tailbone/low back spasms in the Main forums forums; Ok so it's not my tailbone that is spasmsing! It's related to bike riding tho as I've ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Default tailbone/low back spasms

Ok so it's not my tailbone that is spasmsing! It's related to bike riding tho as I've gone quite a while without this kind of "prob" unless I sit too long otherwise it seems that bike riding more than a half hour or maybe even a half hour creates low low back spasms and tailbone discomfort. Can't call it pain cuz it's not but like an aching.

I don't want to think it's "nothing" as I recall when L4 blew out the first time the precursor I had to it was aching around the rectum (I'm sorry to be so graphic tho we're mostly all grown ups here).

While I love riding my bike I don't want to bring about a back prob again so trying to figure out how I can handle this. Respite days between short rides?

Walking really is the best for my back tho had to temporarily give this up until after I have my toe surgeries (2 toes). Arghhh....spiney stuff!
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Maria, greetings from flughafen münchen.... I'll be home tonight!!!

Please be careful. It must feel great to be riding your harley again. If it's an activity that provokes old pains that haven't been around for a while... don't go there. You'll have to weigh the risks vs. the benefits... but I remember you like this:

That picture is from the Tony Yeung conference in June 2004

We spent quite a lot of time together back in those days and I remember how severely impaired you were.

Please take care,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Default the "good ol' days"

Thanks for posting that flattering photo Mark.. yes I can sit a bit more than that now tho still not a truly long period of hours.. depends on the seating too.

My "harley" .. 21 speed Giant City bicycle... guess I'll do very short rides..

Darn.. I was going to try horseback riding. Tho you're right I do not want to return tho "those" days!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Maria, i think horseback riding would do you in!!
I always got a numb and painful butt when bike riding for a long distance.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM

Default re horseback

Yeah.. I just wanted to try a very mellow little short ride just for kicks tho guess I better get this dang foot surgery done and walk just for kicks! I mean I should really be grateful and happy for the amount of pain reduction I have had compared to earlier years so with this comment I will just try to only do myself a minimal amount of damage!

Happy to be as good as I am actually
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 PM

For my foot i was given permission at 3 weeks to do whatever i want and i did fit my foot into my sneakers yesterday. What hurt the most was my darn baby toe on the non operated foot , but after a while the pain there went away. I probably walked about 2 and !/2 miles and all was good. Of course no exercise today, but tomorrow i may try my regular hike!
And you ??
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 04-14-2012, 06:21 PM

Default re walking

Judy,
took a nice long walk the other evening w/friend. We went about 2 plus miles but he got tired so had to turn around (bad knee) probably a good thing tho as I had forgotten my toe would kick in and it almost did at the end of the walk. The next day I walked quite abit in Seal Beach. I guess not wearing tennis shoes/sneakers so much really helps tho I'm sure if I do I'll be sorry.

I want to get the surgery done and over w/tho am really just farting around re packing.. can't seem to get anything done!

Did experience some tailbone pain again the last few days off and on tho esp. yesterday during the stormy weather so I stayed most day lying down yesterday intermittantly packing.

Sounds like you've recovered well just in time for good weather! I probably should have had the surgery first and then done the stuff re buying property. It's too overwhelming to deal with all of it at the same time or even thinking about it!

take care!