Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Post Surgery Depression? in the Main forums forums; I just spoke to someone who had multi-level cervical ADR about a year ago. Her story is much like ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Default Post Surgery Depression?

I just spoke to someone who had multi-level cervical ADR about a year ago. Her story is much like dshobbies... substantial relief from part of her problem, but some serious nerve issues were made much worse by the surgery. While she's still experiencing improvements at 1 year out, things could be better. Her life is better than it was before the surgery, but not nearly as good as she'd hoped for.

Much of the discussion was about post-surgery depression. Obviously, this will be worse in people with worse outcomes and less of a problem with better outcomes, but something she said really stuck with me and it's worthy of discussion....
Quote:
Nobody warned me about depression after the surgery.
It seems obvious in retrospect, but her idea should be considered seriously. Anticipation of post-surgery depression, especially in cases with poor or mixed results, may allow for early treatment or avoidance of what might be considered a complication of the surgery???

Is there something we can do different or better to avoid or reduce serious depression after surgery?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org