Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Prolotherapy poll in the Main forums forums; I have had prolotherapy. Zip benefit. I see that it has helped John Galt, on the other hand. I thought ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 01:54 PM

Default Prolotherapy poll

I have had prolotherapy. Zip benefit. I see that it has helped John Galt, on the other hand. I thought it might be helpful to run a thread where people can report whether or not they have seen any benefit.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:26 PM

This is a good idea. However I suspect that the results will be skewed to the negative, same as if you had taken a poll on surgical outcomes. People who have had success with either would not be coming here.
I think it would be helpful if people would give some background along with their results. It would be good to know what their spine condition was at the time that they received their Prolo.
Prolo strengthens ligaments so they should have been diagnosed with ligament laxity before given Prolo.

Also, the treatment protocol would need to be known. Too many docs think that the protocol is to inject a few times around the SI joint.
This is incorrect, the protocol that should be used is to inject from the upper lumbar to the coccyx and across the illiac crest.
Prolotherapy does work. If you inject a needle into a ligament or tendon you certainly will injure the area and get a inflammatory response, no doubt about it.
The variables are the doctors experience in making the diagnosis, the protocol used and the overall health of the patient and the patients
willingness to follow the post prolo recovery rules, like avoiding NSAIDS and junk food.

I had a herniated disk that was impinging on a nerve root (L4-L5). I had also suffered many lumbar strains which damaged my ligaments.
My doctor injected my full lumber over 8 sessions. The result was less back pain and less leg pain.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
This is a good idea. However I suspect that the results will be skewed to the negative, same as if you had taken a poll on surgical outcomes. People who have had success with either would not be coming here.
I think it would be helpful if people would give some background along with their results. It would be good to know what their spine condition was at the time that they received their Prolo.
Prolo strengthens ligaments so they should have been diagnosed with ligament laxity before given Prolo.

Also, the treatment protocol would need to be known. Too many docs think that the protocol is to inject a few times around the SI joint.
This is incorrect, the protocol that should be used is to inject from the upper lumbar to the coccyx and across the illiac crest.
Prolotherapy does work. If you inject a needle into a ligament or tendon you certainly will injure the area and get a inflammatory response, no doubt about it.
The variables are the doctors experience in making the diagnosis, the protocol used and the overall health of the patient and the patients
willingness to follow the post prolo recovery rules, like avoiding NSAIDS and junk food.

I had a herniated disk that was impinging on a nerve root (L4-L5). I had also suffered many lumbar strains which damaged my ligaments.
My doctor injected my full lumber over 8 sessions. The result was less back pain and less leg pain.
Fair points, I suspect. How many treatments did it take for you to notice improvement?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 AM

I noticed an improvement after my first session. The rule is that if the patient does not notice an improvement after the first three sessions then the patient must be reevaluated.
In my case, my overall health is good, my immune system is good and I eat a high protein, low carb diet. I believe these factors contributed to my Prolo success.

Last edited by John Galt; 06-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.