ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   Consultation, Doctor #1 (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2332-consultation-doctor-1-a.html)

karreymetris 07-17-2012 11:48 PM

Consultation, Doctor #1

Hey all, continuing my chronicle here. Today I had a consultation at a minimally invasive spine surgery center in Tampa Florida. As soon as I walked in, I got a weird feeling. The lady who checked me in scolded me for being late (I was perfectly on time!) and that the docs would only have a minute with me. So I met the docs and they felt they could do an athroscopic procedure on my L5-S1 to alleviate the stenosis there and get rid of my pain. However, asking them about their procedure, they didn't seem that knowledgeable and talked often about how they were better than their main competition (who I am going to see tomorrow). The whole place felt like a factory, and they treated me like I was just another number and a check for them to cash. I guess I am really haha, but it comforts me to feel like my doctor cares about me and wants to see me feel better and be healed. Am I crazy for that? I hope I have a better experience tomorrow.

Maria 07-18-2012 02:15 PM

first consult

Wow..that sounds like a sales job and I don't like sales jobs vs. explaining things to me and why this particular surgery might work for "me."
1st impressions stick w/me as does how the front office deals w/things. I know the surgeons are the ones doing the "work" however we as patients have to deal with front office politics all too often.

Good luck with your next consultation!

jsewell 07-18-2012 06:27 PM

That sounds horrible. i would not ever go back. I hope you have much better luck tomorrow. I do remember reading of others having that type of experience with some laser center.
Judy

mmglobal 07-18-2012 06:46 PM

That feeling that the doctor's office runs like a money factory is hard to get past.

You may find that they and their competition are past partners and there are bad feelings about who ripped who off when they split up.

Try to look past the issues that don't matter. You want the most experienced surgeon who gets the best results. Sadly, we don't have reliable information we can use to properly assess this. But don't decide based on bedside manner or politeness of the staff. Those issues don't impact success rates.

Mark

Maria 07-18-2012 07:22 PM

still..

Get the consulting surgeon to focus on explaining the procedure for you and why he or she thinks it may or may not work for you . Ask how many surgeries done and success rates and success rates with cases similar to yours. Ask about pros and cons with your particular case, ask about possibility of future surgeries or what else may happen to surrounding or adjacent structures should you have this surgery vs. another. Ask about materials used, recovery time, if you currently take pain medication can you continue to take it if that is a concern at all. In other words have your list and try not to deviate too much from it. I bring a list and say I want to go thru these questions "quickly" as I know the surgeon is pressed for time. Usually a consult like this has a slot of a half hour in terms of time so try to get your 30 mins worth from the surgeon.

I personally think we often have to make a decision based on our first impressions of the surgeon and how that first visit goes that is if they are willing to take the case at all or can do anything for us. If I'm going to have to make my mind up based on one visit I do like to get the amount of information that would allow me to even consider that surgeon.

Get whoever it is off the "we're better than anybody else" sales train should that person go there. If they're that good everybody already knows and it's probably why I want to see that surgeon in the first place and will tell him or her that. . Past partners or not (if that were to be the case and I've seen that a number of times with varying medical specialties when it comes to elective or even necessary surgeries) the we're so great stuff just comes off as immature and childish unless it's stated in a certain way that doesn't sound like a "sales job" at least IMHO.

Keano16 07-18-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karreymetris (Post 17040)
Hey all, continuing my chronicle here. Today I had a consultation at a minimally invasive spine surgery center in Tampa Florida. As soon as I walked in, I got a weird feeling. The lady who checked me in scolded me for being late (I was perfectly on time!) and that the docs would only have a minute with me. So I met the docs and they felt they could do an athroscopic procedure on my L5-S1 to alleviate the stenosis there and get rid of my pain. However, asking them about their procedure, they didn't seem that knowledgeable and talked often about how they were better than their main competition (who I am going to see tomorrow). The whole place felt like a factory, and they treated me like I was just another number and a check for them to cash. I guess I am really haha, but it comforts me to feel like my doctor cares about me and wants to see me feel better and be healed. Am I crazy for that? I hope I have a better experience tomorrow.

I am sorry to hear...

So, you are in Florida? Try going to Deuk Spine Institute.

Regards

karreymetris 07-20-2012 02:29 AM

Guys, I just really don't feel comfortable at this one. Plus I've read bad things about them. I like a doctor who really cares for me. I'm writing my second review up in a minute!