Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Consultation, Doctor #1 in the Main forums forums; Hey all, continuing my chronicle here. Today I had a consultation at a minimally invasive spine surgery center in Tampa ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 PM

Default Consultation, Doctor #1

Hey all, continuing my chronicle here. Today I had a consultation at a minimally invasive spine surgery center in Tampa Florida. As soon as I walked in, I got a weird feeling. The lady who checked me in scolded me for being late (I was perfectly on time!) and that the docs would only have a minute with me. So I met the docs and they felt they could do an athroscopic procedure on my L5-S1 to alleviate the stenosis there and get rid of my pain. However, asking them about their procedure, they didn't seem that knowledgeable and talked often about how they were better than their main competition (who I am going to see tomorrow). The whole place felt like a factory, and they treated me like I was just another number and a check for them to cash. I guess I am really haha, but it comforts me to feel like my doctor cares about me and wants to see me feel better and be healed. Am I crazy for that? I hope I have a better experience tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Default first consult

Wow..that sounds like a sales job and I don't like sales jobs vs. explaining things to me and why this particular surgery might work for "me."
1st impressions stick w/me as does how the front office deals w/things. I know the surgeons are the ones doing the "work" however we as patients have to deal with front office politics all too often.

Good luck with your next consultation!
Old 07-18-2012, 06:27 PM

That sounds horrible. i would not ever go back. I hope you have much better luck tomorrow. I do remember reading of others having that type of experience with some laser center.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 07-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Administrator

That feeling that the doctor's office runs like a money factory is hard to get past.

You may find that they and their competition are past partners and there are bad feelings about who ripped who off when they split up.

Try to look past the issues that don't matter. You want the most experienced surgeon who gets the best results. Sadly, we don't have reliable information we can use to properly assess this. But don't decide based on bedside manner or politeness of the staff. Those issues don't impact success rates.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Default still..

Get the consulting surgeon to focus on explaining the procedure for you and why he or she thinks it may or may not work for you . Ask how many surgeries done and success rates and success rates with cases similar to yours. Ask about pros and cons with your particular case, ask about possibility of future surgeries or what else may happen to surrounding or adjacent structures should you have this surgery vs. another. Ask about materials used, recovery time, if you currently take pain medication can you continue to take it if that is a concern at all. In other words have your list and try not to deviate too much from it. I bring a list and say I want to go thru these questions "quickly" as I know the surgeon is pressed for time. Usually a consult like this has a slot of a half hour in terms of time so try to get your 30 mins worth from the surgeon.

I personally think we often have to make a decision based on our first impressions of the surgeon and how that first visit goes that is if they are willing to take the case at all or can do anything for us. If I'm going to have to make my mind up based on one visit I do like to get the amount of information that would allow me to even consider that surgeon.

Get whoever it is off the "we're better than anybody else" sales train should that person go there. If they're that good everybody already knows and it's probably why I want to see that surgeon in the first place and will tell him or her that. . Past partners or not (if that were to be the case and I've seen that a number of times with varying medical specialties when it comes to elective or even necessary surgeries) the we're so great stuff just comes off as immature and childish unless it's stated in a certain way that doesn't sound like a "sales job" at least IMHO.

Last edited by Maria; 07-18-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Quote:
Originally Posted by karreymetris View Post
Hey all, continuing my chronicle here. Today I had a consultation at a minimally invasive spine surgery center in Tampa Florida. As soon as I walked in, I got a weird feeling. The lady who checked me in scolded me for being late (I was perfectly on time!) and that the docs would only have a minute with me. So I met the docs and they felt they could do an athroscopic procedure on my L5-S1 to alleviate the stenosis there and get rid of my pain. However, asking them about their procedure, they didn't seem that knowledgeable and talked often about how they were better than their main competition (who I am going to see tomorrow). The whole place felt like a factory, and they treated me like I was just another number and a check for them to cash. I guess I am really haha, but it comforts me to feel like my doctor cares about me and wants to see me feel better and be healed. Am I crazy for that? I hope I have a better experience tomorrow.
I am sorry to hear...

So, you are in Florida? Try going to Deuk Spine Institute.

Regards

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 AM

Guys, I just really don't feel comfortable at this one. Plus I've read bad things about them. I like a doctor who really cares for me. I'm writing my second review up in a minute!