Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Shays many problems in the Main forums forums; Hello everyone I am new to this forume but have visited the site e few times looking for advice. Here'...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 AM

Default Shays many problems

Hello everyone I am new to this forume but have visited the site e few times looking for advice.
Here's my story. I'm 25 with a bad T11 and T12 disc that needs a fusion sugery. I also have a facet joint problems at C6/C7 and I have tried all the conservative treatments but did not get much relief. The pian in my neck is so bad it gives me migraines almost all day and night. I can handle getting one fusion in my back but I'm afraid to get one in my neck.
All this started 3years ago when I was training to be paramedic and hurt myself in the gym. The life I have now is no work and no physical activity at all. Im scared that if I do have these surgeries and they are successfully done will I be able to get back to working out an being active. Any input would much appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 06:27 PM

At your young age, i would first check out all alternatives to fusion. That being said, i am the queen of fusion., Through many surgeries and for many reasons i am now fused from C4 thru L4. I am having surgery again on Thursday to fix 2 fractures in my lumbar spine and add L4-5 to the fusion mass. I do Ok with all the fusions. Some for scoliosis so bad that it was effecting my breathing, one biggie for a broken neck. I do go hiking about 4 times a week, also have major pituitary problems which is why right now i do not exercise more, but it is all possible. The only reason i gave up trail running is do to my right hip replacement of 2008. I'm not sure my spine surgeon would want me to any more, but everything else is ok with him .

Others will hopefully come on and tell you about alternatives to fusion . I have had poor bone density and never was a candidate.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Administrator

If the system is compromised enough to require fusion, other options will be very limited. The t-spine does not have the mobility of the c-spine and lumbar spine. So, there is no motivation to develop motion preservation technology for it.

Thoracic fusions are not low risk, high success rate surgeries. Video assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) was developed in the 90's to provide less invasive options for thoracic fusions. Now, XLIF is the latest and greatest. At t11-12, they can use XLIF... please look into that and only consider surgeons with a great deal of XLIF experience. The surgeons who teach the procedure wind up with a higher level of experience that most of the other doctors will NEVER get to.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org