Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Anyone else had overwhelming pain upon awakening from anesthesia? in the Main forums forums; Hi Everyone, I'm about 9 days post-op from my 3rd spine surgery - combines XLIF, laminectomy @ L3-4. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 04:13 AM

Default Anyone else had overwhelming pain upon awakening from anesthesia?

Hi Everyone, I'm about 9 days post-op from my 3rd spine surgery - combines XLIF, laminectomy @ L3-4. I had an awful experience in recovery this time -something that did not happen my first 2 surgeries, one of which was an L4-5 fusion. I woke up in the recovery room in absolute agony...screaming, hyperventilating, tachycardia. I remember the whole thing in vivid detail, and I was terrified. I'd really appreciate you insights, if you have any.

I have recovery room memories from my two previous - certainly painful, but this was something else. I don't have a high tolerance to opiates (was taking 50 mg tramadol 2-3 x/d at most).

Thanks so much for being here.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Keano16 Send a message via Skype™ to Keano16

Huh... I remember my mom waking after her L3-L4 TLIF....... I will never forget that, one of worse day of my life... As you say "screaming, hyperventilating, tachycardia"

2005 - 2012: Rich personal experience with spinal disorders and various treatments (surgical, therapeutic, diagnostic)
Co-Founder: Vertebris Internationl Spine Hospital
Founder: Spinoteka - Society for Spine Diseases
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Default re awakening..

I only have my L5S1 discectomy to compare to which was an open surgery (not micro surgery or bandaid surgery). I was prepared by my surgeon at the time back in '89 telling me I'd be really mad at him when I woke up and probably screaming about my pain levels... this was back before pain pumps and out patient surgeries for this at least in my case.

My surgeon had me in ICU for 2 long days post my L5S1 discectomy as he wanted me turned on regular basis and attended to frequently. Back then there wasn't even a TV in ICU.

I remember being in pretty awful pain tho I had been prepped for it so I thought it normal. Since then I've only had a second discectomy in '92 which failed terribly altho it was outpatient so I was in and out before any of my really horrible pain started.

Sending you good thoughts for your recovery and I hope if you've been experiencing severe pain you'll not continue to do so. Please keep us updated on your progress