Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Can someone explain my MRI results? in the Main forums forums; Hi Experts What do these notes from Radiology mean in laymans terms? C5-C6: There are posterio endplate hypertrophic changes ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Default Can someone explain my MRI results?

Hi Experts

What do these notes from Radiology mean in laymans terms?

C5-C6: There are posterio endplate hypertrophic changes eccentric towards the right, with slight effacement of the right ventral aspect of the thecal sac, and narrowing the procimal aspect of the right neural foramen. The left neural foramen is patent.

C6-C7: There is also mild endplate hypertrophic changes and broad based disc herniation/spur slight effacing the right ventral aspect of the thecal sac without central canal stenosis. Slight narrowing of the right neural foramen is seen.

IMPRESSION:

1) Spontylotic changes as noted above, particularly at the C5-C6 and C6-C7 levels resulting in right neural foraminal stenosis. No evidence of dentral canal stenosis or cord compression.

Thank you
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineBurger View Post
Hi Experts

What do these notes from Radiology mean in laymans terms?

C5-C6: There are posterio endplate hypertrophic changes eccentric towards the right, with slight effacement of the right ventral aspect of the thecal sac, and narrowing the procimal aspect of the right neural foramen. The left neural foramen is patent.

C6-C7: There is also mild endplate hypertrophic changes and broad based disc herniation/spur slight effacing the right ventral aspect of the thecal sac without central canal stenosis. Slight narrowing of the right neural foramen is seen.

IMPRESSION:

1) Spontylotic changes as noted above, particularly at the C5-C6 and C6-C7 levels resulting in right neural foraminal stenosis. No evidence of dentral canal stenosis or cord compression.

Thank you
At 5-6 bone growth is narrowiing where the nerve roots exit. The thecal sac is what surrounds the spinal cord. You don't have contact or indentation of the cord at 5-6

At 6-7 where the disks attach there is bone growth and the space the nerve root exists the foramin is narrowing.

A chiropractor can give you a better explanation that I or your surgeon can.

My guess is that you don't need any surgery but if you do do with a minimal percutaneous approach.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 PM

The reason for the MRI was to identify possible causes of bodywide muscle twitching, peripheral neuropathy symptoms and strange nerve sensations.

Does any of the above (despite what doctors may assume) play a role in this? I see two mentions of abnormal growth in the location where nerves are .... and even though they did not see any contact while I was laying prostrate .... the spine is a moving thing, and different positions may very well elicit contact.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineBurger View Post
The reason for the MRI was to identify possible causes of bodywide muscle twitching, peripheral neuropathy symptoms and strange nerve sensations.

Does any of the above (despite what doctors may assume) play a role in this? I see two mentions of abnormal growth in the location where nerves are .... and even though they did not see any contact while I was laying prostrate .... the spine is a moving thing, and different positions may very well elicit contact.

Thoughts?
Have a standing MRI. See a chiropractor for a consult. Some do it for free.

Sometimes a disk under load will bulge. You could also have weak ligaments.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Administrator

I usually look at the adjectives instead of the pathology noted. Most people in their 50's or 60's will have MRI's that sound much worse... even people with no symptoms.

I'll be surprised if your doctors get too excited about the MRI. No smoking gun there???

What I see in your report is slight, mild, slight.

You are correct. The spine is a dynamic system and the MRI is a static image of you laying in a neutral position. Have they looked at t-spine and brain? Even with no smoking gun, it is often difficult to get the doctors motivated to look for less likely causes.

Good luck... please keep us posted. All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Thanks for the feedback -

Im pretty proactive with my health, so I wanted to ask you guys - i am 38 years old and .... well fortunate enough to have "early and slight" on an MRI ... is there anything I can do, daily, that will reverse what is starting, or dramatically reduce its progression?

I see arthritis being mentioned and degenerative disk disease .... they wont be slight or beginning stages forever. So what can I do so Im not the 78 year old guy in constant back pain?