Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Thoracic question six months on from surgery in the Main forums forums; Just wondering if anyone knows if it is normal to have reported on a scan that there is a `loss ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:39 AM

Default Thoracic question six months on from surgery

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is normal to have reported on a scan that there is a `loss
of disc height' at the operated level following excision of a thoracic disc. I had a herniation excised about six months ago and I had a scan today and that was one of the comments.
Why I ask is that I was told that there was no need for fusion in the thoracic spine because it is far more stable than the lumber and cervical spine.
The loss in height is more marked now than it was on the xray done in hospital. I am experiencing more pain down through my thoracic spine now that I am more active following surgery. Is this where the pain is coming from - maybe it is not as stable as first thought without hardware or fusion.
Thankyou
Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 AM

Default loss of disc height

I've had that on my MRI reports following my lumbar discectomies at L5S1 and L4. I think it happens naturally as well tho it's seemed that after surgery this process is quicker and more apparent. I had no fusion either at either level and had rebulging and pain. I don't know that loss of disc height alone would necessarily mean pain will occur. I might wonder about rebulging...
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Administrator

what surgery did you have?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 PM

I had a thoracotomy for a disc excision at t7/8 level which was compressing my spinal cord. Tremendos relief from the cord compression and associated nerve pain and tingles etc but still recovering from the disturbance through my ribs/chest wall etc
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM

Hi a thoracotomy is a huge surgery if i am thinking of the right thing and i am sure you are still in the healing process.
I had that same level disc removed using the less invasive Video assisted thoracic surgery. Not that it turned out easier as i had nerve damage to the nerve that controls the diaphragm muscle and thus loss of lung function with it. I do , however remember several months down the road that i still had the same annoying pain.
As far as i understand disc space is lost as we age as the discs loose water and shrink in a way. So do we. I have had extensive spine surgery with almost my whole spine fused and have lost several inches. i would say 3 inches for sure.
WElcome to the forum, i hope you continue healing and know we are here for all your spine and emotional needs
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Thankyou for your reply. The loss of disc height is very prominant in my last scan. It was relatively ok straight after surgery. Can't help but wondering just how stable it really is. He took a fair amount of disc away having tunnelled through the vertebraes above and beneath. As I have become more active I have been getting pain down through my thoracic spine.

I have also had previous surgery on my neck and have an artificial disc sitting on top of two levels that were fused when discs ruptured 20 years ago. I don't seem to have very strong discs - the thoracic one went of its own accord as did the others.

As long as I can keep moving I am happy - just uncomfortable.