Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss I am suffering from Lumbar Spondylosis with L4-L5 and L5-S1 issues. Is surgery must? in the Main forums forums; I am 29 yrs male and I weight 250lbs. I've been diagnosed through my MRI done last week for ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Default I am suffering from Lumbar Spondylosis with L4-L5 and L5-S1 issues. Is surgery must?

I am 29 yrs male and I weight 250lbs. I've been diagnosed through my MRI done last week for Lumbar Spondylosis and have been advised for a surgery by a Neurosurgeon. My report of MRI is pasted below and I wanted to ask-

1) Do I absolutely need a surgery? Or I have other alternatives?
2) Should I visit other Neurosurgeons or should go to orthopedic or physiotherapist?

MRI OF LUMBO SACRAL SPINE

L1-L2 level - Canal API) 18.0 mm. ----> No disc herniation. Normal discal signal intensity.
E2-L3 level - Canal APD 17.0 mm. ----> No disc herniation. Normal discal signal intensity.
L3-L4 level - Canal APD 15.0 mm. ----> No disc herniation. Normal discal signal intensity.
L4-L5 level - Canal APD 9.0 mm. ----> Disc dessication. Bulging disc. Posterocentral disc prolapse. Neuroforaminal and central canal stenosis. Cauda equina compression
L5-SI level - Canal APD 8.0 mm. ----> Disc dessication. Bulging disc. Posterior disc prolapse. Neuroforaminal and central canal stenosis. Lt SI nerve root compression.

Anterior osteophytes are seen in lumbar vertebral end plates.
Conus ends at normal level with normal conus medullaris.
Lower dorsal cord is normal in size and signal intensity.
Paraspinal muscles are normal in size and signal intensity. Facet joint and ligamentum flavum are normal.

IMPRESSION

MRI findings are suggestive of -

1. Lumbar spondylosis with degenerative disc disease.

2. L4-L5 and L5-S1 posterocentral disc prolapse causing central canal and neuroforaminal stenosis with compressive radiculopathy.

Please advice me.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM

Hi and sorry you have to be here with us. I am no expert, but i do know radiculopathy causes painful symptoms. I guess some of the normal questions would be how much pain and for how long have you been suffering? it sounds like your first step was to a surgeon. Maybe get a second opinion, many of us do before surgery. I did with my first , then truly trusted my spinal surgeon and went no where else.
good luck
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM

Default do you need surgery

Were you advised to have surgery ASAP? If you weren't advised you must have surgery right away I'd get another opinion or two tho your MRI report at L4-5 and L5-S1 sounds convincing to me. The cauda equina compression part would motivate me.