Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Lower back and Hip Pain - MRI normal in the Main forums forums; Hi, I am a 30 year old male who for the last 6 months or so has been experiencing pain ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Default Lower back and Hip Pain - MRI normal

Hi,

I am a 30 year old male who for the last 6 months or so has been experiencing pain deep in my hip and since Christmas my lower back.

After seeing my GP, I was referred to a rheumatologist who advised that I go for an MRI scan. At the time of my appointment she suggested I may have Sacroilitis? I have had my MRI scan two weeks ago and my follow up appointment with the rheumatologist is March 11th. I phone up the rheumatology office and asked for my results to be sent to my GP.

The receptionist called from the GP today and said the MRI scan has come back normal and wait to discuss with the rheumatologist on March 11th.

Although I am happy that the MRI has come back normal, I am no closer to finding out what the problem is and am worried that no-one is going to help me. I have searched the internet to try to find my symptoms but can't seem to find anything.

Below is a list of the pain I am experiencing, any help or suggestions would be highly apreciated:

Pain is at it's worst on waking in the morning, in both the hips and lower back.
Pain can come and go, I sometime have two days where I feel next to no pain and then it comes back
Loss of appetite
Constant aching feeling deep down in my hips (not muscular)

I have been prescribed all different types of anti-inflamitorys but none of them seem to help. I have had blood test that have also come back negative. I am currently taking Co-codamol and Tramadol which seems to help numb the pain alittle

This is really getting me down, and any help or advise you can give me would mean so much

Thank you for taking time to read my post
Alan
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 AM

Hi Alan,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry too that you had to come here. I have had problems in both hip and lower back and the rest of my back. You do say it is both hips which makes me think of lower back vs. hip as how would both of them go at once. But it has happened that lots of people on my hip forum has both replaced at the same time so i guess now that i think about it it is possible. Now i sound crazy. Just a little of what constant pain can do to a person. I think that could be related to appetite. When you feel bad, who wants to eat.
Do you need a referral with your insurance? I would strongly suggest you get a copy of your scan as well as the written report. I would then get myself to a spine surgeon. I had a normal MRi once for my hip , it was replaced 5 months later. so i don't place total faith in MRI's. My hip surgeon had gone in to fix a small tear and found the whole thing was arthritic. Some times mild findings hurt a lot. so it is just one piece of the puzzle. Are you suspected of having a rheumatic condition? I once had polymyalgia rheumatica which is a muscle inflammatory disease. So there are so many things out there. As you can see i have had a ton of surgery so have experienced a lot.
Sorry i am rambling. Do keep us posted , see a spine surgeon and always get all your records.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot