Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Central Sleep Apnea in the Main forums forums; I just had a sleep study last night and learned something new. There are 2 types of sleep apnea, the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Central Sleep Apnea

I just had a sleep study last night and learned something new. There are 2 types of sleep apnea, the most common is obstructive sleep apnea. Something is blocking your throat, like extra large tonsils, adenoids, just extra tissue in the way of breathing at night.
The other type is central sleep apnea, this is where the brain is not sending a signal to you to breathe.
It seems i have both. My main symptom is just being tired all the time, falling asleep at the drop of a hat all day long, waking with a headache and more. The one that got me to a doctor is the being tired , really exhausted all day.
One of the causes of central sleep apnea is some damage to the cervical spine , I think that is my cause. I did break my neck a few years ago and it is put back together , but my head is way forward (possibly causing the obstruction) and i get all kinds of nerve feelings related to my cervical spine too. Just wanted to bring this up in case anyone finds themselves needing a sleep study or help with sleep. It also causes the symptom, of not being able to get back to sleep when woken up at night.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot