Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New upper body pain in the Main forums forums; This is so weird tho I think it's just a pulled muscle. Still it is burning and aching since ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Default New upper body pain

This is so weird tho I think it's just a pulled muscle. Still it is burning and aching since about 3a.m. this morning when I woke up with a start as I was so uncomfortale! Actually I started to feel it this morning when I got off the computer at 2a.m. The pain is located on my upper left back right below my shoulder blade. I think that might be a point of insertion for muscle or tendon and man it's killing me! I'm debating going to my PCP for a request for shot of Toradol. She just gave me one about a month ago for my neck so she may not be willing. I was just in Urgent Care yesterday for a bacterial right eye infection so not sure if I want to go back to UC right away either tho may do so...

Oh crap.. I don't need this! I need to do some painting (as in household) this weekend! Good thing I'm right handed!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Hi Maria,
Sorry about that new pain. Ever since my last neck surgery , i have had a pain, tingling , in that left shoulder blade area. So maybe from your neck?
It is going to be harder painting, good luck with that. I hope it starts clearing up soon. I also have mine flare up if i carry even the slighest thing with that arm. so no carrying just in case it makes it worse.
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Firstly i suggest you to concern with doctor. According to doctor, follow the treatment. So many painkiller medicines are available in the market, you take also.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Default re the upper back pain

Interestingly I've not had my dog for going on 2 weeks and I've not had the pain either. Lola is a puller. Only 18 lbs but she can really yank me unexpectedly when she spots a squirrel or rabbit or bird..cat whatever before I do!

If the pain returns and has any qualities about it that I think warrent a visit to a doctor I will surely be seen.

After 30 years as a lumbar spine patient I am no stranger to doctors re pain!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Default Sorry...

Maria,

The first sign I had very serious neck problems was hand pain. That kind of quickly progressed as it began as light nerve pain on back of hand and cramping of my fingers on one hand.
However, not long after I had scapula pain. I have had it off and on (every time I write 'off and on', I think about the nurse, doctor? who told me, "Say intermittently instead.").

It came and went and came again. I hope this is just a muscle ache and not nerve pain.
Maybe it was the dog?

R
Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 PM

Default re the scapula pain

The pain was more what I'd call episodic as I think of intermittent as more frequent and off and on during the day. My pain was present all day for days and then would go away and recur some time (maybe days/weeks) later.

However that being said I hadn't had my dog for nearly 3 weeks and the pain was gone! So yes I tend to think it's the fact that Lola pulls the heck outta my arm when walking and I tend to use my left hand to hold the leash hence the left scapular area (lower aspect) was getting a burning type of pain.

Currently I have someone walking Lola for me the next two weeks because the posterior tibial tendonitis (feet bilaterally) has been flaring up very easily.

That'd be a surgery I'd really dread on both feet because the recovery would be killer... can't even imagine it.

I have trouble with my hands as well but I believe that is long standing osteoarthritis in my thumbs and the joints of my fingers. Mostly thumbs tho on a daily basis.

If I don't exercise my upper body (arms) at shoulder height or over my head I don't really experience neck pain unless I sleep wrong or hold my neck in weird position. I do have a few bulging discs in the cervical area but I don't think anything major. Haven't had an MRI of that area now for about 7 years.