Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss surgery tomorrow in the Main forums forums; Hello everyone. I am so grateful to have found this site. My problem is minor compared to many here. I'...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 AM

Default surgery tomorrow

Hello everyone. I am so grateful to have found this site. My problem is minor compared to many here. I've had neck problems on and off for years but early Dec. suddenly got severe arm pain with tingly fingers as well. Had a MRI in Jan. impression: large right lateral disc herniation at c6-c7 with moderate compression of cord. Tried physical therapy, home traction and various meds. Had some improvement and by the time I had surgery consult 3-5-13 thought I could avoid ACDF. 8 days ago pain got worse with a vengeance, not able to function, worse than onset. Went to walk in clinic of ortho practice, told them I had decided to schedule surgery and was waiting on office to call back. Was prescribed oxycodone given toradol shot and they said they would contact surgeon. Had pre op Fri. surgery tomorrow nerves kicking in now. First surgery of this sort and went from not thinking it was worth it at consult to having it in the morning. Would love to hear from anyone with similar circumstances. Wish I had asked dr. more questions. Expecting 23 hr. hospital stay, c6-c7 ACDF using hip bone graft and hard collar.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM

Bell good luck with your surgery tomorrow.
My first surgery was an ACDF for C4 thru C7. I hadn' t asked many questions as it was all a kind of shock that i was having that type of surgery at all. Now i am quite familiar with the process. THat was in fact the easiest of my 9 spine surgeries. Just remember to follow your doctors instructions for recovery, take pain meds on time every time so you are not trying to catch up. The hard collar will protect you pretty good.
When i had that surgery, I woke up with a soft collar, my surgeon said i was so stabalized he didn't think the hard one was necessary. I have since broke my neck under different circumstances and been in a hard collar for over a year and still feel like i miss it. So you will get used to that too.
I did have one thing different though, i did not have the hip bone graft. I had the cages with the bone morphonogenic protein. I have heard that the hip part of the pain can be significant. Just make sure they give you enough pain meds.
Any more questions tonight i will check this site and try to help you
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 AM

Thanks so much for your response. I'm packing for the hospital, anything you ended up wishing you had taken? I have trouble swallowing pills, should I ask if there are any liquid pain meds. I could take? I'm sure it varies but how long would you guess someone would need to be with me for recovery? Did you wake up with relief from your pain? Wow you have really been through it, sorry you have had to deal with so much.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Bell... good luck! Please let us know how it goes! We are looking forward to hearing good news about your recovery.

mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 AM

Thank you so much. Guess in a matter of hours now it will be done. Hope to be back soon to share a successful outcome an encouragement for others.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM

Default re surgery today

Wishing you the best results and recovery possible so do please let us know how you're doing when you're able! take care! Maria
Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 PM

I'm thinking about you. Let us know how you are doing and take those pain meds on time
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot