Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss adr and nerve pain question in the Main forums forums; I wanted to ask those with lumbar ADR if they had this type of pain prior to ADR surgery and ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Default adr and nerve pain question

I wanted to ask those with lumbar ADR if they had this type of pain prior to ADR surgery and if ADR helped this type of pain.

Did you have nerve pain that felt like it originated at the disc level that sent a buzzing, vibration, electrical and cutting feeling into the legs and feet?

I am wondering if an ADR would reduce this type of pain. When I sit, it feels like the compression on the disc increases the intensity of the buzzing, electrical, vibration, cutting type pain. I can feel the buzzing/vibration right at the L4/L5 area.

I woke up with this feeling after a disc surgery and was told the nerves would settle down. They never did unfortunately. I've done many of the treatments you typically do for nerve pain, but I help can't but wonder if ADR could address this along with the back pain.

I can't help but wonder if I eliminate the buzzing at the disc, then it could possibly reduce the buzzing/electrical down the legs.

My understanding is that ADR is not used to treat nerve pain. However, there seems to be a direct correlation with how my much buzzing there is as a result of how much sitting compression there is.

The buzzing going down the legs is not sciatia, but a buzzing/vibration/electrical in the front of thighs and cutting in the feet.

Did any lumbar ADR recipients have compression type nerve pain in legs prior to ADR? I am looking for a solution other than a spinal cord stimulator.

I have severe L5/S1 disc degeneration and Grade V annual tear at L4/L5.

Thank you for your opinion.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:54 PM

Default have you tried

Hi Skylar,
first just to state I have not had ADR surgery tho it was recommended back in 2003 for L4 and L5S1 for me and then in 2006 a hybrid surgery with ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1 was recommended. I did not do either.

I had 2 discectomies in '89 and '92. The latter left me with severe burning type of neuropathic pain from my waist down thru buttocks bilat and legs bilat into my feet. I had some buzzing sensation too but mostly burning pain and then a fair amount of numbness in right lower leg and foot.

I was told that when I sat the compression of L5S1 increased my symptoms.

I took Elavil for 5 years to treat neuropathies then I started Neurontin and stayed on that for 12 years. Eventually I stopped having the burning pains and other sensations except for occasional feeling of some cold water running down leg or something crawling on my leg.

I was wondering if you had tried anything like Neurontin or Lyrica for your symptoms?

With regard to your question I do hope someone will come along and answer it. Good luck, Maria
Old 05-02-2013, 09:21 PM

Hi Maria - Thank you so much for your reply. I am so glad that the burning pain has subsided for you.

Yes - I am familiar with Neurontin and Lyrica. I've been through lots of various meds and treatments but was curious if ADR could be a realistic option for not only back pain but for the nerve pain in legs and feet. I was hoping that there would be a side benefit regarding the nerve pain.

Thank you for your kindness.

Last edited by skylar; 05-02-2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 05-03-2013, 04:42 AM

Hi Skylar,
I am a fused , really fused person so cannot help you with your question.
I do have that burning, buzzing in my left foot. I have had an EMG and it turns out i do have a nerve damaged in my foot, but one that shouldn't effect the bottom of my foot. They are just practicing medicine and sometimes more than others.
I have had terrible pain in my legs after a fusion surgery last year., One of the screws was pulling out and had the sciatic nerve with it. I was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks waiting for surgery to remove the instrumentation. No fun at all.
Now probably because of the nerve being squished for 6 weeks has permanent damage. I have leg weakness big time. But i am wondering why you think it is not the sciatic nerve? Sounds to me like it could be. But i don't know too much. Just my own experiences.
Have you tried searching on this forum for ADR posts from the past. Might give you some insight.
I just wanted to post so you didn't feel so alone.
good luck
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 PM

Hi jsewell - Thank you for your suggestions. I did a quick search, but was not finding what I was looking for. I will try a more in depth search. No sciatica according to doctors and EMG. But you are right, doctors are doing the best they can in practicing medicine. I've put off any additional surgeries because there are no guarantees with the outcome and have just been managing as best as possible. Was hoping that time would help to lessen situation, but not yet anyway.

I appreciate your post. I hope that your pain challenges improve as well.