Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New here, first post.... in the Main forums forums; New here and first post. I am 44 years old and live in Sacramento, California. I have two herniated discs ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Default New here, first post....

New here and first post. I am 44 years old and live in Sacramento, California.

I have two herniated discs at the L4/L5 and L5/S1. I also have a bulge, but no herniation on the L2.

Too much lifting weights my entire adult life and, indeed, it was lifting weights that ultimately got me.

There's commercials and PSAs for smoking, drinking, drugs, heart disease, diabetes, but NO SPINE education out there. They should have a disclaimer at age 40, like that tag you cut on a mattress. Don't do this, this and THIS anymore once you pass 40 yrs. old. Oh well, I probably wouldn't have listened anyway.

So, the injury is now officially 3 years old almost to the date. I didn't know what the problem was when it first happened, unfortunately. I was used to pain, good pain. Never knew the kind of pain that stuck around.

My chiropractor looked at my MRI and X Ray and told me straight up, 'If I was your age and had your back, I'd be PISSED.' He told me my options weren't good. My L5/S1 could fuse on its own in the next couple years. I'm already feeling bone on bone there. And my L4/L5 causes me to just not lift anything remotely (or not remotely) heavy as it causes me to tighten up.

Adjusting to life has been interesting. I use my voice a lot more and command people to do common things from my boys taking out the trash to moving ladders for me around the house.

The pain is different each day. Some days its tight muscles. Other days its radiating pain in the upper/middle buttocks. The worst is sitting. I can't sit without using my arms to support some of my weight.

At 44, that's not good. I'm suppose to live a lot longer and that's not good either since it will be harder.

Currently I am trying decompression therapy with the chiropractor but I know its only temporary. Expensive and temporary. Although we can all dream right?

I have Kaiser now and have an appointment tomorrow but may change my coverage if they don't work with me. I would like two ADRs, but not my chances are slim to none. Not sure what my other options are, perhaps a hybrid fusion on the L5/S1 and an ADR on the L4/L5?

Anyway, I'll get more information from Kaiser and would love to hear some of the thoughts of the folks here.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by Wyatt J; 07-01-2013 at 10:03 PM.