Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Considering DIAM surgery for DDD in the Main forums forums; I have been accepted into the FDA clinical trial for the DIAM surgery. I have (so far) heard nothing negative ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 AM

Default Considering DIAM surgery for DDD

I have been accepted into the FDA clinical trial for the DIAM surgery. I have (so far) heard nothing negative about it. I have ddd L1-L5. Please post if you have had the surgery or know of anyone who has. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 AM

I was recommended the DIAM device for DDD, but it is not an approved device in Australia (where I live) which made it expensive. I read a lot about it and everything seemed positive, the biggest issue seemed a limited history for it's use in this (standalone) way. The risks seem much lower than ADR with the god given disc not having to be removed - thus less invasive surgery and other options preserved. There a few articles one by Josip Buric which provided a 24 mth follow up - all good. Ultimately, I pursed ADR (ProDiscL), but would not have done so if the DIAM device was covered. I will be very interested to read about your progress - which I expect will be quick.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Administrator

The indications for ADR vs. DIAM are very different. DIAM is a motion limiting device while total disc replacements like ProDisc are motion restoring and motion preservation devices.

I've not heard of ADR following DIAM (or any other interspineous spacer). If the interspineous spacer would be left in place, how much motivation is there for ADR as the interspineous spacer would be defeating the purpose of the ADR? If the spacer is removed, I wonder about the stability of the system for ADR. The interspineous ligament would have been sacrificed... does the lack of it have implications for ADR?

ALS9082... any update? (I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this thread to the main forum.)

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM

In relation to the points raised by mm global in their informative reply, all I can say is that an experienced spine surgeon told me that DIAM was a much less invasive and thus risky procedure to address pain associated with DDD. He also said that if it didn't work it could be removed and all other surgical options (essential fusion v ADR) remained open.

Having had ADR 4 weeks ago and suffering ongoing radiculopthic pain in my hitherto healty foot, I am battling with personal doubts around the decision I made. I am lamenting not pursuing this more graduated approach having decided non-surgical treatments could not help.

The point you make about the inner spinous ligament would seem critical in understanding whether her all options in fact are preserved following implantation of the DIAM device and thus the whether this 'graduated strategy' was open to me.

I look toward to learning more from ALS9082.