Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Recurrent weakness/pain.. MRI resuls. in the Main forums forums; Hello! Looking for some possible answers... In March 2012 I had an emergent L5-S1 right hemilaminectomy. I had progressive ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 PM

Default Recurrent weakness/pain.. MRI resuls.

Hello! Looking for some possible answers...

In March 2012 I had an emergent L5-S1 right hemilaminectomy. I had progressive pain and weakness over the course of the prior year in my right leg. I had the surgery because the day prior I had sudden significant weakness to my right leg and a new onset foot drop. I tried to get out of bed in the morning and my leg would barely move... I went to the ER and had a neurosurgeon see me, ordered an MRI (showed a significant 1.5 cm herniation and obliteration of the lateral recess) and had surgery the next day. I had immediate pain relief and weakness was gone (YAY!) Then six months later I had progressive pain again. I went to see my neurosurgeon who recommended seeing a pain management doctor. I saw him a few weeks later and he recommended an injection. I had to have a pregnancy test (I was 25 at the time) and it came back positive to my surprise, so no injection. (I have PCOS and was told it would be difficult to get pregnant on my own again!)

Aside from that, I had my child three months ago. Surprisingly, I had very very little back or leg pain throughout the pregnancy until the last two months. Since then I have had progressive pain and weakness to my right leg very similar to before the surgery. My leg is ALWAYS numb along the right lateral and across the top of my foot, more significantly to the pinky toe. I called my neurosurgeon and his PA called me and ordered an MRI. In the meantime I saw the same pain management doctor a few weeks ago. He did some ROM and said that I have significant weakness to my right leg.... My coworkers have also noticed the same and say I "walk funny." I am a nurse and I walk/stand for the majority of my twelve hour shift. (Neurosurgery/neuroscience is not my area of expertise!) I have noticed a slight foot drop to my right foot also.

My MRI results read:
L5/S1 right hemilaminectomy change, mild right paracentral, moderate far lateral disc protrusion, impinges to a lesser degree on traversing right s1 nerve root. moderate right foraminal, mild central canal, mild left foraminal stenosis secondary to facet arthropathy ligamentous changes.

I have an appointment but not for quite a while with him. I am very nervous of what he will say and what my options are due to my young age/pain/weakness. Some nights I come home in near tears because the pain is so bad. I have to stand slowly because my leg is so numb sometimes I can't take a step... I had injections prior to surgery which did nothing for the pain. I am also nervous to take oral pain medications as I am a nurse... anyone have these kind of changes post-op?

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Penguin, WELCOME to the forum. Sorry it took me a while to get to this.

The surgery you had addresses the disc protrusion and nerve compression, but does not really address the degeneration that has and will continue to occur. While some are lucky enough to get away with just a discectomy / laminotomy, many of us will ultimately have more surgery in the same area. Discs can reherniate and continue to break down as time goes on.

The MRI language you posted is scored by me as 3 milds and 2 moderates. Unfortunately, the pathology described can be completely asymptomatic in some, but could be highly symptomatic in others.

I'll be interested to hear what your doctor has to say.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 PM

jpenguin , first congratulations on the birth of your baby.
I had developed some bad nerve pain and weakness in my right leg after a fusion last August. I couldn't put my right leg down at all and my left was very painful. It ended up that the screws loosened and the nerves were getting involved in that mess. I was home for 6 weeks in horrible pain and only mobile in a wheelchair. The surgery to remove the hardwear was in sept last year and with that the extreme pain went away. i also had foot numbness .
I had an emg for leg weakness and some nerve pain and i do have permanent damage to my L5 nerve.

Just sharing my story, Hope your doctor offers some help to you

Oh i am having surgery from the front to fuse L2 thru l5 and fix some fractures as it never fused after the instrumentation was removed.
Judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot