Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss T-Lift Anyone... in the Main forums forums; Hi - I'm new to the site and wanted to jump in with a question and hopefully get some feedback. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM

Question T-Lift Anyone...

Hi - I'm new to the site and wanted to jump in with a question and hopefully get some feedback. In Nov 2009, at age 46, I ruptured the L5-S1 disc and after months of PT it was determined I needed a discsectomy, which was done in June of 2010. This was done by an ortho guy. The surgery was very minimal and was done on an outpatient basis. I recovered well and for a year and a 1/2 was pain free.

In Oct of 2011 I felt the very familiar pains return, along with my back "freezing" on me at night. Talk about excruciating pain OMG - and I have a high tolerant for pain. Another MRI showed the same disc had in fact ruptured again and failing all else, in May of 2012, I had my 2nd discectomy (same doctor). Two weeks later - right back to square one. Didn't work at all. I was put on gabapentin, a nerve block med, that really helps the pain that would shoot down the outside of my right leg right down to my foot. So that's been really good.

My husband (after watching me move so delicately and gingerly at night and so stiff in the morning) finally convinced me to see a Neurosurgeon who ordered a with and without contrast MRI. We are now into July of 2013. The MRI showed the L5-S1 disc to be completely gone and I'm now bone on bone. He recommended a T-Lift and I've been putting it off. The thought of rods and screws in my back really wig me out here. I ask myself if I'm trading one set of pain (the pain that I know) with a new set of pain (the unknown pain). I play golf and really don't want to have to give that up and right now - even though it is getting worse - I'm only miserable at night and a few hours after getting up.

Any thoughts here - has anyone had a T-Lift?
Old 09-26-2013, 12:57 AM

I have not had a T-lift or ever heard of one. I have however had many fusions in all 3 levels of my spine. My last one being 2 weeks ago. I was put on gabapetin a few days ago for terrible leg pain and i am thrilled with its help as you are. Will that level also be fused? I can figure out kind of what it might be . Good luck to you
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 PM

Hi Judy ~ Thanks for your reply. Here's a summary of a TLIF. "Spinal fusion (such as a TLIF) is a surgical technique to stabilize the spinal vertebra and the disc or shock absorber between the vertebra. Lumbar fusion surgery is designed to create solid bone between the adjoining vertebra, eliminating any movement between the bones. The goal of the surgery is to reduce pain and nerve irritation...This article describes the transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF) fusion technique.

TLIF back surgery is done through the posterior (back) part of the spine.
Surgical hardware is applied to the spine to help enhance the fusion rate. Pedicle screws and rods are attached to the back of the vertebra and an interbody fusion spacer is inserted into the disc space from one side of the spine.

Bone graft is placed into the interbody space and alongside the back of the vertebra to be fused. Bone graft is obtained from the patient's pelvis, although bone graft substitutes are also sometimes used.

As the bone graft heals, it fuses the vertebra above and below and forms one long bone." My neurosurgeon uses growth hormones that stimulate bone growth and not actual bone grafts.

So there you have it ~
Old 09-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Oh you originally said a T-lift and that threw me off , that and the fact i just had fusion surgery 2 weeks ago and am on lots of drugs!! I guess i just called mine a posterior fusion which is basically the same thing. I have had many. I am only having problems now with my lumbar spine as my bones are so soft and will not hold the screws. Last years attempt the screws immedietly pulled out and let me tell you that was painful . Nerve pain as the nerves got involved in the screws pulling out. I ended up back in surgery to remove the screws and plates and rods , but after 6 weeks of being in agony .
My surgery that i just had was through my abdomen. When going through the front they remove the disc and he used the same material you were talking about BMP bone morphenogenic protein.
When is your surgery?
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 09-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Default re TLIF

This has been around for a while and I'm sure there are plenty of people that could tell you about their experiences w/this surgery. I was thrown off too by the T-Lift .. I was thinking .. that's a new one
Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 AM
Administrator

I just discovered (this morning) that I may be a candidate for a TLIF. I have not observed one yet, but will soon.

What I've seen presented at the conferences were patients bouncing back very fast after the surgery. (what else would you expect... most of these presentations are marketing for the device manufacturer!) It is much less invasive than other fusion options.

I'll post here if I get more TLIF info.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org