Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Fitness?? in the Main forums forums; I am avid about my fitness. I have given up lifting weights for now. Does anyone know with a bulging ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 04:22 PM

Default Fitness??

I am avid about my fitness. I have given up lifting weights for now.

Does anyone know with a bulging disk and a annular tear c5-6 can you still workout?

Cervical disk bulge and annular tear c5-6
Reverse Curvature of spine and mild stenosis.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:30 AM

Hi Laura,

I went from being a binge exerciser to a regular exerciser with the onset of spine related pain almost 12 years ago. I have L4-5 bulge w/small herniation. I may have a tear, I can't remember and I can't find the MRI report. I have used elliptical machines and stair steppers. The elliptical causes some discomfort due to facet issues but I deal with it.

I lift weights in a limited way. I have to stand at the weight rack where the hand barbells are located. I place one hand on the rack and shift a good portion of my weight to that arm and hand. I use the other hand to grab a weight and press it. I've lifted up to thirty pounds like this. You need to keep a good deal of your weight supported by your other hand to keep the load off your spine. I do this mainly because of DDD at L4-5.

I lift up to six, yes, only six, pounds without supporting myself. Chin ups relieve weight from your spine. I suspect most people with spine problems can to them.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 PM

Default re lifting weights

I haven't been able to do this for a while now because of a cervical bulge that I have (my guess). I am not able to lift my arms at shoulder height or above my head repetitively and some of the machines I used in the past for various upper body musculature just really flare me up neck wise so I've just given up trying to use weights. I do some arm related exercises at times but not regularly because I seen to exacerbate my cervical "condition" and get spasms that totally lock my head up in one position. When last I saw a Neurosurgeon re my neck and had an MRI done (2006 I guess) there was nothing to do surgically (thankfully). I've not consulted with anyone again because when I lock up now I get a shot of Toradol 60mg IM and that loosens me up right away.

I do sleep with a cervical pillow and I try to be careful of the lifting and other activities I do re my neck and back. I'm not always so good at that but then again I live alone so I have do my own stuff all the time like carrying in kitty litter, groceries, etc.

Also I'm nearly 60 now so I've had years of adapting to a lifestyle that is more limited. When I was 28 and injured re my spine it was slowing down a bullet train... I didn't understand when the doctor would say I could "take a walk" he didn't mean for 2 hours thru Golden Gate park rather 10 minutes maybe as tolerated. Duh... live and learn which I did over and over and over...

My general health is pretty good as I've remained fairly slender thru the years and I always tried to be doing some form of exercise like walking or whatever I could do without hurting or flaring myself up.

Good luck. I'd say get a good idea of what 's really going on in your body and then work your plan around it to stay fit and active as best you're able. A good dietary plan really has helped me over the years even if I couldn't be nearly as active as my younger years.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 PM

I would think that you could workout and do most things like biking and probably even certain weight lifts. I would check with a physical therapist or a good sports med doc for guidance first though.
What kind of exercise did you have in mind?