Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss 10+ years post-op with a question in the Main forums forums; This might sound like a silly question, but I ended up having vertebroplasty shortly after my Prodisc surgery a little ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 01:49 AM

Default 10+ years post-op with a question

This might sound like a silly question, but I ended up having vertebroplasty shortly after my Prodisc surgery a little over 10 years ago. I haven't had any lumbar problems since then but am curious if anyone knows how long bone cement is supposed to last or if there have been any studies done. I'm not looking for problems, but if there's a "shelf-life" for the stuff, it would be nice to know.

edited to add - I've read some studies, but the most recent was 2006 and only discussed vertebral fractures. The rest are older studies.

Last edited by queenofhearts; 02-01-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Default hey there!

Hi Doreen!
Just wanted to give a shout out Hello to you though I don't know the answer to your question! Sounds like you're doing well~ continued congrats there!

That's a good question esp. because I think this mainly was procedure done for older people with vertebral fractures due to the aging process.

I've not looked at any of the studies done though now that you brought it up maybe I will as I would expect the majority of patients in the past studies to be of an older age group so maybe the studies might be affected by this (the material may outlast the patient population studies were done on).

take care~ Maria