Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss L4/L5 complication post L5/S1 TLIF in the Main forums forums; I had a fusion L5/S1 and TLIF six weeks ago. I have recovered well and have almost no pain (...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 08:10 AM

Default L4/L5 complication post L5/S1 TLIF

I had a fusion L5/S1 and TLIF six weeks ago. I have recovered well and have almost no pain (nothing complex). I do have an issue on the right hand side where I am unable to support any weight on my right heel (cannot heel walk). The foot collapses. There is no foot drop but I have a SLAP when I walk. This nerve root I understand comes from L4/L5 and I believe this may just be part of the post operative "settling period" but it is a little frightening. Is this kind of symptom normal?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 PM

Default have you

Seen your doctor since this developed or has it been in place since post the surgery? I would imagine there's some swelling around that nerve that might be causing this but maybe it's something that will persist .. what did your surgeon say if you've reported this finding or it's been noted? And are your reflexes normal post op at this point?

Tendon problems can also cause this type of problem though I believe this can be ruled out pretty easily re whether it's created by your recent surgery/trauma or a tendon prob.

Good luck and please let us know what your surgeon says. I had a slapping of my right foot prior to my first spine surgery which was an L5S1 discectomy. It went away post op at some point.

I also have posterior tibial tendonitis in both ankles and my flat feet were getting super painful and unable to support me with weight bearing. Initially I wanted to make sure there was no spine involvement in this and my OSS ruled that out pretty quickly.

take care and hope you recover this function with time~ Maria
Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 PM

Default Thank you Maria

Thank you for your comments. I have seen the surgeon and he indicated that this foot slap is likely from ongoing realignment post surgery and that it should disappear.

It is still present at 7 weeks so holding on for a result soon.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 AM

Default what I learned

Is spine related things in each individual have their own timeline for resolving if they will. There are the statistics one is given before and after surgery however that might or might not be the case with one's own recovery/resolution.

Wishing you the best and hopefully the improvement that you've noted far outweighs the pre operative stage.

Maria
Old 04-08-2014, 01:42 AM

Cool Comment on Spine Surgery

I have been getting pain injections for 15 years.
Sometimes they help; sometimes not. It all depends on WHO gives them.
Have seen two top neurosurgeons in the past year for consultation; both concurred NO SURGERY as I have a curved spine. Also stenosis, a few herniated disks; bulging disks. All causing pain in the back of my left leg, buttock and left ankle.
The last pain injection took the pain away, but how long will it last ....no one knows.
Also, don't even go to a decompression machine. It's a waste of money. Medicare and Ins. Cos. do not cover this cost and you have to pay yourself. It's useless and does not work. Physical therapy never worked for me, but I do walk for 30 minutes each day. Pain pills never worked for me either. You can become addicted so I never do pills. Does anyone out there know about the one inch minimal invasive surgery or the one called MILD ?
Would be interested in having feedback on this.
Both are done as outpatient.
Thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:22 PM

Default re almost there's comments

Different things work for different people such as the decompression machine. There have been people here that report being greatly helped by this treatment modality.

Also not only do the injections depend on who is giving them but also where they are given or the approach. With ESIs the transforaminal (sp) approach worked better for me than other approaches.

In terms of ESIs it matters also what level is done as to whether it might be effective or not.. I had an annular tear at L3 BUT L5S1 was long my most painful disc level and then when the facets autofused L4 became my most painful level so injecting L3 didn't make any difference as it wasn't bothering me really.

Have you ever had too much fluid injected and abutted a nerve root?? That created a horrendous acute pain that fortunately for me subsided the two times it happened (different PMs) . It didn't make me give up on ESIs entirely as they helped me greatly for the period of time WC authorized them for me rather in one case it made me switch providers re administration of ESIs and in the other case it made me decide to definitely be sedated with ESIs.

When we share on this site or any for that matter the different modalities of treatment just keep in mind that what works for me might not work for you and what works for you might not work for me.

Keep an open mind and try the conservative treatment modalities first before jumping into a surgical frame of mind unless one has an emergent need for surgery. As mentioned by almost there if one person's treatment of the condition isn't working then make sure to give feedback to the provider and see if there are options with this provider.. if not being listened to consider trying another provider before giving up on the treatment modality completely.

btw I take an opioid pain medication one time a day and have for a number of years. It was either that or lay around crying my eyes out every day all day never going anywhere or doing anything or being able to even make it to doctor's appointments or anywhere so again ... different things help different people. I would not want anyone to feel that he or she is any less of a person because they may need to take medication for pain. I had significant spine problems from the age of 28 until I was nearly 50 before I started taking pain medication and had 2 spine surgeries and the 2nd one failing horrendously so while I could have had a 3rd spine surgery and probably a 4th or 5th.. etc... I just chose to stop at 2 and take a low dose opioid pain med now one time/day and see how things went. I have not had to bump that dose up and have actually been able to stop taking Neurontin 1800 mg/day about 4 years ago after taking that for 12 years.

One does what he or she has to do to take care of his or her pain. We all go thru finding out what works for each of us individually.

Good luck and overall I wish anyone and everyone "patience" with regard to the diagnosis and treatment of spine related injuries. It is surely no "walk in the park." It's good that we have a place like here for a sharing and exchange of ideas and information.

Last edited by Maria; 04-08-2014 at 07:33 PM.