Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss New here and scared to death in the Main forums forums; Hi all, A little background: I am a 33 year old male. I have recently lost 205 pounds. Exciting stuff (...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 PM

Default New here and scared to death

Hi all,

A little background: I am a 33 year old male. I have recently lost 205 pounds. Exciting stuff (diet and exercise). I went from 399 to 194. I am 6'3", though I think with my disc issues, I am 6'1.5".
My back pain started when i was 17...I was diagnosed with a bulging L5-S1. Since then I have had annoying low back pain...not agony or anything, but I was always aware of it. About 2 years ago, I started to get sciatica in my left hip. It made standing nearly impossible without me being in agony! I had an MRI...the L5-S1 bulge was still there (went down a little bit), but now I had an L4-L5 herniation. I had 3 cortisone injections which has helped tremendously. About 4 months ago, I noticed this horrible burning pain in my lower back when I was sitting. Back for another MRI...My L4-L5 herniation was slightly shrunk, but I now have an annular fissure. My L5-S1 has increased slightly. I had 2 L4-L5 right side injections for the tear...first one helped for two months. Had my last one this past Friday, and nada. I have retrolistehsis of 1.5mm at L2-L3, and 3mm at L5-S1. I have some other small issues (I'll update when I get the MRI report from home), but I have a feeling I'm headed down that surgical road. I visited an neurosurgeon here in NJ...he suggested an L4-S1 PLIF...yeah, OK. I am not doing that. So, Europe/Spain looks like it's going to be my only option.
I guess I'm looking at Zeegers, Bierstedt, and Clavel? What is the best way to contact them? I'm going to have to pay out of pocket (for a 2-level, I'm assuming 45k (American) or so)?
I'm scared to death, and I have no idea where to turn to right now.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:27 AM

Default welcome

Hi Ed

Sorry you've had to join us fellow back sufferers!
You know a certain someone on here said something to me that is so true..
Although we are looking for information and support remember that most of the people on these forums have read posts and then repeat the information.
There is a lot of good information but you really need to educate yourself.
I think this is a great place to learn about other's experiences but every back seems to be unique.

Make yourself a list of questions so when you speak with SEVERAL doctors, you'll be prepared.

Have all your history ready, MRI's, CT, x-ray, etc.

Some of these doctors charge for a consult.

Zeegers report was VERY thorough and took him many hours of work.
He asked me things no one else asked.
My opinion is if you can only afford one consult, I'd recommend Zeegers.

Don't rule out a fusion.
My M6L has to be removed so there are no guarantees.
The lumbar is tougher and the outcomes with ADR aren't as good as the cervicals.
Again, some people have success, some don't.

Since I'm going for revision surgery, I can tell you first hand that
L4-L5 is very close to your two main arteries.
Everything seems to be fine going in there once but a revision is risky
and finding someone to do it will be difficult.

I've had consults with Clavel, Zeegers, Pimenta, , Zigler, Corenman, Tolli, Sweeney, Mayer
and that's not counting a few who weren't worth mentioning.
I can honestly say that Zeegers was the most thorough and is a great explainer.
Worth every cent.

Don't rush into any decision because that's a tough area for revision surgery.
Not trying to scare you but I've learned more about this subject since I'm now facing it and have learned about it. Do your homework and ask LOTS of questions!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:32 AM

Default congratulations

I forgot to mention. ...

Congratulations on your weight loss!
You've already done yourself and your spine
a huge benefit by getting that weight off.

Yay for you!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:40 PM

Default new here n scared to death

Hi there,
I remember being new to the world of spiney hurt back in the 80's when I was young! I was scared to death then as well and probably before each of my two spine surgeries as well (discectomies) and then more so after my 2nd failed surgery and all that went along with that "ride."

Anyway my advice to you is unless you are experiencing neurodeficits and/or mandatory reasons for immediate surgery ~ take your time to get enough opinions and go with the one you feel most comfortable with after having researched your options well enough and giving enough thoughtful consideration.

Remember at this point you are still in control because you are gathering information to make an informed decision. At the point you have surgery then the control shifts to the surgeon so you want that to be as good a deal as you can choose (re skill, experience and everything on the surgeon's part) and then back to your part with recovery after whatever surgery you go through.

Wishing you the best with your information seeking phase and your interviewing of surgeons and a big congratulations on your weight loss~ that is truly an accomplishment!

btw Mark Mintzer (mmglobal) is a great person to talk to regarding your questions and if I were in your shoes I'd contact him (and I have for myself in the past). be well and take care! Maria
Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Wow.... congrats on the weight loss Ed... that is fantastic.

Unfortunately, we cannot undo the degeneration that we all will have. We try epidural injections... usually or often, there will be microdiscecomies or other decompression surgeries hoping to avoid nastier surgical options like fusion or ADR.

I'm glad that you understand how serious the situation is BEFORE you start having procedures that will burn bridges and limit your future options.

Good luck!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org