ISPINE.ORG Forum

ISPINE.ORG Forum (http://www.ispine.org/forum/)
-   iSpine (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/)
-   -   4 level Bilateral Cervical Rhizatomy (http://www.ispine.org/forum/ispine/2680-4-level-bilateral-cervical-rhizatomy.html)

antsylady1 08-13-2014 01:46 AM

4 level Bilateral Cervical Rhizatomy

I had a 4 level bilateral Cervical Rhizotomy, C3,4,5,6, almost a week ago! These eight nerves are really pissed off and screaming! I'm having a difficult time dealing with the pain! I pleaded with my doc to give me something to take the edge off! I was surprised he gave me a prescription because my docs don't seem to give out pain meds. In the last couple months, I've had two Medial Nerve Blocks and the Rhizatomy, in hopes to be pain free. Does the pain really go away or am I just fooling myself to think I'll be pain free? Anyone know the percentage of this procedure working? My doc has only given me 10 days worth of pain meds. I really doubt he'll refill the prescription!

sahuaro 08-13-2014 04:48 AM

I don't know enough about those procedures to answer your questions, but I am surprised that your doctor didn't give you that information so that you could make an informed decision. You sound really miserable with pain. Please call your doctor's office and let him know!

Jim M2 08-13-2014 04:52 AM

Sorry to hear you're in pain. I've had a couple of rhizos at L5-S1. They didn't give me more pain but I couldn't really tell if there was relief. I stopped getting them. It wasn't worth the effort.

antsylady1 08-13-2014 01:17 PM

4 level bilateral Rhizatomy

The doc told me to give it a week to a week and a half for these nerves to die, but I can't see this pain just disappearing over night! I was just wondering if anyone else has be experience this procedure and if their pain really went away! Thanks for your input though!

pittpete 08-13-2014 04:02 PM

If the pain didnt decrease with the facet joint blocks why did your doctor do an RF ablation?

mmglobal 08-14-2014 06:52 PM

OK.... it's Antsy Lady.... I was wondering what the name "Auntie's Lady" was about. I should get new glasses!

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you are still suffering.

I have a bunch of questions, but I'll bet that you won't get any answers from the doc until you waited out his 10 day 'be patient' period.

Any improvement in the last few days?

Mark

LanceK 08-15-2014 07:42 AM

I believe I heard or read somewhere that post-op pain in cervical rhizotomies can take a little longer to diminish than in lumbar procedures.

I'm going in for a 4-level bilateral lumbar rhizotomy in early September and am not necessarily assuming I am going to have the dramatic and immediate relief that the diagnostic medial block provided from the moment I left the doctor's office.

I am hoping for at least six months of that degree of relief, however, when all is said and done.

I hope things work out better for you soon.

antsylady1 08-16-2014 06:54 PM

pittpete, my pain did decrease from an 8 to a 4/5 for the first medial nerve block, but then my pain came back with vengence a couple hours later. For my second nerve block, my pain did decrease as well, but came back gradually throughout the day! That's why my doc thought I would benefit from having a Rhizatomy! I just want to get better, but I think I'm out of luck! Not sure if there is anything else I can do but to just live/deal with it!
mmglobal, Antsylady comes from my name Ann, C, Lady because I'm a women! My son thought it up for me. Thanks for all your responses!