Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss 4 level Bilateral Cervical Rhizatomy in the Main forums forums; I had a 4 level bilateral Cervical Rhizotomy, C3,4,5,6, almost a week ago! These eight nerves are ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 AM

Default 4 level Bilateral Cervical Rhizatomy

I had a 4 level bilateral Cervical Rhizotomy, C3,4,5,6, almost a week ago! These eight nerves are really pissed off and screaming! I'm having a difficult time dealing with the pain! I pleaded with my doc to give me something to take the edge off! I was surprised he gave me a prescription because my docs don't seem to give out pain meds. In the last couple months, I've had two Medial Nerve Blocks and the Rhizatomy, in hopes to be pain free. Does the pain really go away or am I just fooling myself to think I'll be pain free? Anyone know the percentage of this procedure working? My doc has only given me 10 days worth of pain meds. I really doubt he'll refill the prescription!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:48 AM

I don't know enough about those procedures to answer your questions, but I am surprised that your doctor didn't give you that information so that you could make an informed decision. You sound really miserable with pain. Please call your doctor's office and let him know!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 AM

Sorry to hear you're in pain. I've had a couple of rhizos at L5-S1. They didn't give me more pain but I couldn't really tell if there was relief. I stopped getting them. It wasn't worth the effort.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 08-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Default 4 level bilateral Rhizatomy

The doc told me to give it a week to a week and a half for these nerves to die, but I can't see this pain just disappearing over night! I was just wondering if anyone else has be experience this procedure and if their pain really went away! Thanks for your input though!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:02 PM

If the pain didnt decrease with the facet joint blocks why did your doctor do an RF ablation?
On/off back pain, no serious leg pain till 2007
2007-MRI Right herniation L5-S1, recurrent small herniation at L4-L5
Leg pain unbearable
2008-June had discectomy L5-S1
Cymbalta 60 mg since 2012, occasional aleve, refuse opiates
Present-LB pain not debilitating but chronic, muscles always tight/stiff, back burns while sitting, better standing, exercising and always moving helps
Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Administrator

OK.... it's Antsy Lady.... I was wondering what the name "Auntie's Lady" was about. I should get new glasses!

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you are still suffering.

I have a bunch of questions, but I'll bet that you won't get any answers from the doc until you waited out his 10 day 'be patient' period.

Any improvement in the last few days?

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 08-15-2014, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to LanceK

I believe I heard or read somewhere that post-op pain in cervical rhizotomies can take a little longer to diminish than in lumbar procedures.

I'm going in for a 4-level bilateral lumbar rhizotomy in early September and am not necessarily assuming I am going to have the dramatic and immediate relief that the diagnostic medial block provided from the moment I left the doctor's office.

I am hoping for at least six months of that degree of relief, however, when all is said and done.

I hope things work out better for you soon.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:54 PM

pittpete, my pain did decrease from an 8 to a 4/5 for the first medial nerve block, but then my pain came back with vengence a couple hours later. For my second nerve block, my pain did decrease as well, but came back gradually throughout the day! That's why my doc thought I would benefit from having a Rhizatomy! I just want to get better, but I think I'm out of luck! Not sure if there is anything else I can do but to just live/deal with it!
mmglobal, Antsylady comes from my name Ann, C, Lady because I'm a women! My son thought it up for me. Thanks for all your responses!