Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss cycling & back pain in the Main forums forums; I find it very interesting that so many people not necessarily in this forum, but in general start a intense ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Default cycling & back pain

I find it very interesting that so many people not necessarily in this forum, but in general start a intense cycling regimen AFTER having ADR surgery. It seems to me that cycling itself can be the cause of the original back pain. I don't know to what degree, whether is can lead to DDD or not, but I know for myself I would not be tempted in the least to start biking unless it was very casual post-ADR. Before I had my 1st laminectomy in 2001, I was one in a fairly intense cycling routine, I would go up an down a steep 1/4 mile hill up to 10 times for a workout. I had a bad fall on the ice that seems to have triggered my downward spiral, but for all I know the cycling certainly could have contributed to it. Anyone who has thoughts about the ramifications of cycling pre and post serious low back pain, please comment.

I have a couple of friends who are doing this after ADR surgery and it makes me cringe.
Coccyx dislocated / same fall (Cannot sit)
Aug 2011 pull-start generator - unrelenting low back pain - can only stand for 30 min
Nov 2011 -rhizotomy - makes things worse
22 hours/day in bed
June 2012 - present receiving facet injections every 4 months, only last one helped somewhat
L3-L5 ActivL Surgery w/Dr Zeegers April 16th
Doing great!!!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Administrator

I think the key word is 'intense'. I've known some pretty hard core athletes. When the patient asks if snowshoeing is OK and the Dr. says yes, the Dr. might not realize that they mean for 10 hours with many thousands of feet vertical. Cycling is OK but where the average person thinks about a pleasant ride down the beach, the number of repetitive movements the intense athlete is hundreds OR thousands of times more. If it's a constant, regular workout (like someone who's in the GYM for many hours nearly every day), it's hundreds OF thousand more.

Some of us will be lucky enough to never experience facet problems following ADR. IMHO, the extreme athlete may provoke them. Some of us will be unlucky enough to develop facet problems regardless of our activities. For these people even moderate levels of things like cycling may provoke increased problems.

IMHO, the people who ARE extreme athletes and do generate problems are outliers and their experience has little to do with those of us who don't measure our bike rides in hundreds of miles.

I was somewhat extreme BEFORE my surgeries started. In the years before my accident, I coached 2 soccer teams and play on 2 adult teams as I loved both indoor and outdoor soccer. I also held weekly goalkeeper training sessions so I was on the pitch 6 days/week. At least 2 weekends every month included either skydiving or rock climbing... often both.

I do not begrudge anyone their activities, before OR after spine problems. We all assess our own risks and make our own decisions. The risk of skydiving is not significantly different before or after surgery. You can pack your chute for soft openings and rough landings are extremely rare (for those of us who can fly... some people crash and burn often.)

My lumbar spine and lumbar surgeries would not keep me from jumping. If it were not for my neck and t-spine, I'd have been jumping since my lumbar ADR surgery and unless you are a jumper (who never crash and burns), you have no idea what he risks and parameters are.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Good stuff Mark. I might have a different attitude if my coccyx even allowed me to entertain the idea of cycling again. I recently talked to Dr Zeegers specifically about it post-op (and after my thread starter) and his response was 'BullShit'. I love the guy and his candor. We talked about his candor the night before my surgery, remember that. Wow

Anyway to each his own, I'm very happy just walking and swimming and to anyone who gets into intense cycling after surgery - more power to you (everyone decides for themselves and weighs the risks Im sure)

I will say this though my days of weightlifting are a distant memory and that is one activity that surely is ill advised post ADR

I think you'd agree with that
Coccyx dislocated / same fall (Cannot sit)
Aug 2011 pull-start generator - unrelenting low back pain - can only stand for 30 min
Nov 2011 -rhizotomy - makes things worse
22 hours/day in bed
June 2012 - present receiving facet injections every 4 months, only last one helped somewhat
L3-L5 ActivL Surgery w/Dr Zeegers April 16th
Doing great!!!!!