Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss CT Scan or MRI in the Main forums forums; Hello, I am curious, after you have an ADR and say you still have some back issues, how would you ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Default CT Scan or MRI

Hello,

I am curious, after you have an ADR and say you still have some back issues, how would you go about further diagnosing it? As far as I know, an MRI wouldn't tell you anything since there are artifacts from the metal. X-ray just shows the bones. Would a CT scan show anything such as pinched nerve, another disc bulging?

Thanks,

Ash.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM

Default re CT or MRI

Sorry Ash I prematurely tried to answer a post/questions by you without having read this.. I have no hardware in only two failed back surgeries/discectomies so hopefully someone here with ADRs will give you an answer. I hope that whatever you do and whatever the findings are that the overall outcome for you will be successful (pain relief). Good luck!
Maria
Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 AM
Administrator

Ash, I'm facing these issues now. This is very complex.

Your question is primarily about the difficulty imaging around the implants. You would not believe how dramatically the metal will effect an MRI. After my wife's endoscopic discectomy, she had substantial artifact on MRI from microscopic bits of metal that are left behind during the endoscopic surgery. The amount of metal in an ADR is many thousands (if not millions) times more than the debris left behind.

So yes, you are somewhat screwed by the difficulty imaging around the prostheses, but it is much more complicated than that. By the time you are considering surgery after ADR, you've already had at least one surgery in the area... likely more. (my case is pretty common... 2 lumbar discectomies before 2 level lumbar ADR.) Once you get to the place that you've made changes and are still having pain, diagnosing is difficult, if not impossible. EVEN WITHOUT the difficulty of imaging, sorting out the pain generators and possible solutions.

Note that I'm not suggesting that the surgeries are not indicated or that the difficulties we face if we have ongoing problems trumps the need for surgery. When we are considering spine surgery, we have very few options and they are all bad.

For me, the next step in troubleshooting my problems is cervical and thoracic MRI and CT. MRI is better at soft tissue for seeing ligaments, disc protrusions, etc.... The CT is better for seeing bone... that includes fusion masses that you want to see following a fusion surgery, or autofusion that you don't want to see after ADR surgery.

A myelogram would be better than a CT. The downside of a myelogram is the risk of injecting contrast into your spinal canal. The plan for me is to do the CT first, then do a myelogram only if necessary. The downside of this plan is that I would be subjected to twice the radiation from having 2 CT's. (MRI's have no radiation... a CT scan is like having a bunch of xrays... I've seen it presented that one lumbar CT is the equivalent of 1500 chest xrays.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 01-09-2015, 06:16 PM

Would an MRI only block out the region where the ADR is, in my case l5/s1, would we still be able to see the l4/l5?
Old 02-15-2015, 07:11 PM

Yes, you should be able to see L4-5. I have a L5-S1 and I can see L4-5 in my MRI.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy
Old 03-14-2015, 08:52 AM

I had both to try to rule out further problems in my C-spine and between the 2 it was enough to rule out 100% the need for a myleogram CT.