Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Better to have surgery soon(er) for better outcome? in the Main forums forums; Hello, I have been getting consults on a 2 level cervical ADR surgery. Piecing together all of the opinions here ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 PM

Default Better to have surgery soon(er) for better outcome?

Hello, I have been getting consults on a 2 level cervical ADR surgery. Piecing together all of the opinions here is what I have;

I was told that statistically the best result is surgery within about 6 months of onset of issues. After that it is fine of course but nerve issues can/will get worse but when that will happen no one knows. But to use a number, they say things will be "worse" in 5 years from date of onset.

Things I was told will be improved by surgery:
-arm, fingers, shoulder, scapula, pain
-tingling/shock sensations etc in arm

Things that are usually not improved by surgery or not entirely;
-numbness in arm
-weakness
-neck pain

I am also hearing that activities like running and cycling will be fine after ADR's, that life can go back to "normal". Only one surgeon said that is not true vs 3 other surgeons. This surgeon also suggested a fusion partial or both levels. He was supposedly the most experienced too but very negative on prognosis and outcome. Not sure what to make of "him".

I'd appreciate any real life experiences or knowledge on the subject,

Best, Kes
Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 AM

Default re your question

Kes,
Again I'd say contact Mark Mintzer if you've not already. He can really give you so much info and maybe some other people to contact, etc.

Sooner may prevent some of the adjacent structure changes that would either be a reason that one couldn't or wouldn't still be a candidate for ADR is a reason for sooner. My OSS who back in my ADR seeking days pretty much steered me away from ADRs changed his tune after he started doing them and now basically I'm so far gone (tho lumbar wise) there's nothing left to do but fusion vs. ADRs that I was looking at back in the early 2000's. By the time I got to 2006 I had gone from being a candidate for a 2 level ADR (at least here in the states) to being a candidate for ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1. I am fusion phobic pretty much so went with none of it.

A lot of people hop on it as soon as they get their diagnosis if their symptoms have challenged their lifestyle, quality of life and career and then there are those of us that wait for various reasons.. sometimes too long for the "options" to still be in place. It's a very individual decision however for whatever reason (including insurance coverage/cost etc).

Good luck.

Sometimes with spine surgeries you may gain something and also lose something or perhaps have something else pop up to deal with.

Good luck getting some more info. Contact Mark. He's helped so many of us!

Maria

Last edited by Maria; 07-13-2016 at 01:32 AM.