Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Jeff Deal 2-level Mobi-C in the Main forums forums; I just spoke to Jeff... less than 24 hours after his 2-level Mobi-C with Zeegers at AlphaKlinik. He'...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 05:07 AM
Administrator

Default Jeff Deal 2-level Mobi-C

I just spoke to Jeff... less than 24 hours after his 2-level Mobi-C with Zeegers at AlphaKlinik. He's doing very well and his voice is great.

I was able to scrub and observe his surgery from close range... it was very interesting to compare and contrast the Mobi-C procedure to other cervical ADR procedures I've seen. I wish I could write more now, but I have to sprint to catch a flight.

I just want to let folks know that our friend is on the other side and doing well. He can already say that his pre-op symptoms are substantially diminished! (However, he qualifies that with the cautious, "but it's still too early.")

I am here in Straubing with the most amazing 4-level lumbar procedure I've ever seen. The combination of spinal reconstruction and ADR... absolutely amazing... more later.

I'm sorry that I've not been around more, but I've been running like hell and have some incredible stories to tell. I'll be able to take a breather next week and you'll see more of me. Someone please post about Jeff on ADR support. Our friends over there will be happy to hear the good news.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 02-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Talking Congrats to Jeff~

Hi Jeff,
You're on the *other side* now~ so glad to hear you came thru it well and pre op symptoms have diminished! Wishing you continued great recovery and hope you will be out sight seeing soon (if not already having done so!)!
take good care and please when you are ready give us an update with your Mobi-C's!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:41 AM

Dear Jeff,

According to Mark's synopsis of your case post-op - it sounds like you are progressing well. It is nice to hear good news with our fellow spineys.

I hope you are able to give us an updated report soon on your progress again. What your limitations were prior to surgery and what you are able to now - etc....

Take Care,
Poncho
Old 02-08-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator

email from pauline...

Hi,
We saw Dr. Zeegers this morning. He seems to be pleased with Jeff's progress. He wants him to see the neurologist again (he will next Tuesday) and back to Dr. Zeegers on Thursday.

Jeff had begun to have quite a painful headache and the Dr. said this was probably from distraction pain (caused when the vertebrae are spread apart to insert the artificial discs), also, it is hard to relax your neck and shoulder muscles with the brace. It is also upsetting his stomach. They have given him some medication for his headache.

It has been very surreal coming back here. Everyone remembers Jeff from two years ago and wants to talk to him and ask how he is doing.

The weather has turned for the better, it is sunny today and quite beautiful outside, still very cold.

Pauline
Old 02-08-2007, 05:37 PM

I've read a lot of posts about distraction pain but headaches have not been mentioned before. Mark, is this a result from increased tension or could it be a more direct result from the distraction itself? I don't mean to minimalize the pain and I do know how tension can cause you to carry your entire body abnormally causing numerous other problems, which I'm sure we've all experienced. Just never read about this before.

Dale
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

For many cervical patients, issues of pain and muscle tension manifest themselves with headaches... often severe. With all the cervical clients, I've not had a discussion about postop headaches except in clients that had severe headaches pre-op. I think that it's difficult to know the answers to these questions. There is so much stress and anxiety surrounding surgery and there are also issues of trauma... not only of the incision and surgery, but from being positioned on the table, etc. Hopefully the headaches will fade soon.

I called and spoke to him...

Swallowing issues are gone.
Burning in foot way diminished.
R Leg pain much better.
Stopped Lyrica because nerve symptoms are so much better.
Pain meds are at very low levels compared to pre-op.

Remember that he's not even 1 week post-op. Things look good so far... hopefully he'll post here himself soon.

Mark

PS... Jeff got to meet Sam Perroni (another GPN client). He just missed Anapurna by a day or two.

Last edited by mmglobal; 02-08-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 PM

Default message from Jeff

Thanks, everyone, for your support.

It has been quite an adventure once again.

To give a brief answer to you Poncho, about my pre-op symptoms.....

After about 15 months post op from my 3 level lumbar surgery, I was doing very well when I began having additional symptoms I'd never had before:
Burning and stinging in both legs, upper back, lower back, horrible nerve pain throughout my whole body, etc......

My spine Doctor in Los Angeles had no solution for me other than pain management. I sent all my test results and films to Dr. Zeegers who consulted with Dr. Baumbach, and through dialog and a consultation it was determined that I had a cervical problem. All this was found to be true after I got to Munich and had more tests and consultations with Dr. Zeegers.

I must say that I'm very glad I had the surgery.

Mark has been a friend, confidant, and means of help. Thanks Mark for being there for Pauline and I.

Jeff
Two level cervical Mobi-C (C5/6, C6/7) 2/2/07 with Dr. Zeegers (successful)
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)

Last edited by JeffreyD; 02-08-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:38 AM

Jeff:
Congratulations on your successful surgery and recovery!
What an amazing quest for answers--and another example of how Mark provides the pathways.
As a fellow cervie, I am anticipating your future posts.
Barbara
Old 02-10-2007, 12:41 AM

Jeff,

You've traveled two long and hard roads and are an inspiriation to those who find themselves in your shoes. I hope your recovery goes smoothly and quickly. I wish you every good fortune.

Dale
Old 02-11-2007, 06:20 AM

Jeff,

Definitely a good sign to see you posting.

This is another example of where I would use the saying "knowledge is power". All too often patients are told by say maybe one or two doctors that there is nothing we can do for you and the patient just accepts it. I am so glad that you didn't and got to the bottom of your symptoms. Persistence pays off.....

Luckily, you had Mark on your side to plan and orchestrate everything to get the odds of success on your side.

Please keep posting and keep us up to date on your progress.

Sy,
Poncho
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Default I'm progressing day by day

Greetings!

Over the last few days I have begun to make significant progress.

Had a visit this morning with Dr. Baumbach and he was very pleased with my progress.

Swallowing has returned to normal, headache is gone, and I am able to walk for hours with no problem.

God Bless,
Jeff
Laser Facet Coagulation (left side: L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 & sacral) 11/04/10 with Prof. Dr. Reul / Beta Klinik (significant reduction in remnant lumbar & sacral pain)
Old 02-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyD View Post
... I am able to walk for hours with no problem.
Wow Jeff... great news. I hope that you are able to enjoy Munich more than on the last trip!

I don't know if she told you, but as I sat with her after your surgery, I said: "I hope we don't meet here again!"

If we do meet in Munich again, I hope that it doesn't involve surgery for any of us.

Take care... thanks for the update... talk to you soon.

Mark
Old 02-18-2007, 04:31 AM

Jeff,

It's so good to hear how it's progressing for you. Those are big changes for the better. Hope to see you and everyone at a spiney gathering sometime in the not-to-distant future.

Jim
Old 02-21-2007, 01:32 AM

Wonderful news, Jeff!

When you are up to answering some questions, could you comment on how/why the choice to go with Mobi-C was made? Thanks!
Old 02-21-2007, 09:16 AM

I was talking to Jeff and Pauline last night, Jeff is unwell with a nasty virus type cold/flu thing, but he is making good progress.
Best,
Alastair
Old 02-21-2007, 02:51 PM

Congratulations, Jeff,
You have the most positive attitude; I'll bet it contributes to your recovery. I hope the cold/flu goes away fast and doesn't set you back.

Like sahuaro I'm a cervie, and I'm interested in the choice of artificial disc too.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Default why Mobi-C

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and support.
I'm sitting in the waiting room at the Alpha Klinik right now; Dr. Zeegers is running tests to check on what's up with my current flu/fever, and I'm also getting followup x-rays.

Dr. Zeegers prefers the Mobi-C for several reasons:
1. Superior placement of teeth in endplates for better anchoring and safer insertion. There is no keel (Dr. Zeegers does not think big keels are good for the patient).
2. It is a second generation design that incorporates the best elements of the constrained and unconstrained designs into a better hybrid.
3. Instrumentation designed for implanting the disc makes it possible to acheive optimal placement.

More details later....
Jeff

Last edited by JeffreyD; 02-22-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator

I just spoke to Jeff and Pauline.

He's getting over a very bad case of the flu, but he's recovering nicely from the surgery. His neck is sore, but he believes it's from coughing so much so soon after surgery. His symptoms are much better as he's able to walk endlessly, stand around and do the museum stroll... things that were impossible before the surgery.

Pauline has surgery tomorrow and I'm certain that they will be the only 3-Charite, 2-Mobi-C, 1-Activ-L couple in the world. Thoughts and prayers for Pauline are appreciated... I'm posting a separate thread for her.

Mark
Old 03-09-2007, 07:14 PM

Default back at work and doing well.

Greetings Everyone,
Just an update to let you know that I'm back in the US of A, and am actually back at work full-time (Graphic Designer) beginning today.
My leg pain with weakness, bladder, walking disorientation, and nerve problems are all greatly diminished. My lumbar area is even much, much better than pre- cervical surgery.
I feel really good!

Thanks for all of your support and prayers,
Jeff
Old 04-17-2007, 12:47 AM

Default My Recovery is Going Well

Well, I’m now 10 weeks post-op from my 2 level Mobi-C surgery.
From my neck to my toes, I continue to improve slowly and steadily. My leg pain symptoms continue to “quiet down” - they were really screaming before surgery. My low back symptoms have really improved, and I continue to be surprised by my ability to function physically in life.
Before the cervical surgery, I had nonstop twitching and weird nerve fibrilations in both of my legs from the hips to the toes. No violent spasms, just strange flutters and small jerks throughout the day, all day long. I haven’t had any of those symptoms since getting off the gurney after my surgery and walking to my room. Also, my leg weakness is long gone.
Just this last week, I have really experienced a decrease in the surgically induced symptoms (upper back and neck tightness, arm tingling, etc.). Those symptoms are rapidly fading now.
I have just started Gyrotonic therapy for the lower extremities, and will progress to full body Gyrotonic therapy at the 12 week post-op point. I will then begin to undertake the fitness and gym exercise instruction program that I was given by Bernd at the Alpha Klinik, as well as the neck exercise program that Sylvia and Barbara taught me to do while I was at the Alpha Klinik.

Thanks Dr. Zeegers!!!!!!!!!

God Bless,
Jeff
Old 04-17-2007, 02:28 AM

Default congrats!

Jeff,
Sounds like life has significantly improved for you~ that's wonderful!
I'm trying to sit to type with some screaming low back nerve pain overriding anything sensible I could say so I'll quit here and just wish you well~ thanks much for the update, always nice to know how people are progressing with returning to work and other activities! Maria