Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss dynamic stabiliztion in the Main forums forums; Hi, I am new to this forum. I wanted to know if any one knows about Dynamic stabiliztion surgery. I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 PM

Default dynamic stabiliztion

Hi,
I am new to this forum.
I wanted to know if any one knows about Dynamic stabiliztion surgery.
I am having it on March 20 with dr. Mcbride in UCLA.

Thanks Ally.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Hey Shoosh...

Welcome to the forum!

Are you talking Dynesys?

How old are you?

What are the indications? (low back pain, leg pain, stenosis, instability, etc...)

I know a few people w/Dynesys... mostly good.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM

HI Mark,
Thanks for the reply
I am 28 Years old. Iam talking about ISOBAR not Dynesys Its done with out fusion.
I have had back pain for 3 years now after a slip and fall at work, ive had epidurals facet joint block meds. I have disc bulges at L4-L5 also had 2 positive discograms. All of the doctors wanted to fuse me but Dr. Mcbride wants to do the Isobar dynamic stabilizition. I also have DDD. Please let me know if you have any info on this.

Thanks.
ally
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Ally,

I first saw Isobar at the Medica congress 4 years ago. To my knowledge, it was approved in the US as a fusion device, but is not approved as a motion preservation device. It operates in a similar fashion as Dynesys, having pedicle screws (like a posterior fusion) joined by a flexible spacer. In Dynesys the spacer is a plastic tube with a stiff cord running through it providing tension. In Isobar, the pedicle screws are joined by a system of metal rods with a joint in the middle.

Besides Isobar and Dynesys there are several other systems that provide posterior stabilization with less invasive surgeries. I implore you to discover your options. There is no such thing as a 'freebie' spine surgery. No such thing as "try this, if it doesn't work, you haven't burned any bridges." Yes, there are less invasive surgeries that seem that way, but it is up to you do discover all your options before you submit to spine surgery.

Isobar, from www.scientxusa.com

Dynesys, from various websites.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 03-01-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 PM

Default help!!!

Hi everyone,

I was suppose to have dynamic stabiliztion with Isobar on the 20th, but the WC insurance is not approving it because its not FDA approved.

I am In so much pain all the time and the meds are not helping that much.
I was approved for a fusion, i dont know if i should have the fusion done.

Please Help.

Ally
Old 03-15-2007, 09:15 PM

Ally
Knowledge is power!! read read and ask questions ! lots of them !! there are lots of options and no one can promise... 'no pain' ! I am fused and I had this done in 98 ..there are so many new options... many are not so invasive too! please be patient ... I am sure you will get alot of help and more fresh ideas also ! do not throw towel in yet ok ! there is hope !! best to ya & I am saying a prayer for you now ... Kam
Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 AM

Hi Shoosh,

I so sorry that you are in sooo much pain!!! Please hang in there and look at ALL of your options before coming to a final decision. I truely believe knowledge is power - you have to be your own advocate to make the best possible choice.

After having lived a life in chronic pain for about 3 years or so, I would highly suggest getting in with pain management and perhaps a medication treatment regimen to manage the symptoms better - this will enable to take some more time in researching all of your options. You are very young and have a lot of life ahead of you. Make sure this is the best possible decision you can make with the technology that is available.

Shoosh, if you could - please elaborate more on what the docs are saying is wrong with your spine....

Sy,
Poncho