Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Intrathecal Pain Pump Implant in the Main forums forums; I've had five lower back surgeries due to spinal stenosis. Latest diagnosis is falied back syndrome, chronic pain. March ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to rpj541
Question Intrathecal Pain Pump Implant

I've had five lower back surgeries due to spinal stenosis. Latest diagnosis is falied back syndrome, chronic pain. March the 29th I am going in for the pain pump trial. I have had the trial a little over a year ago. I was somewhat leary of the implant and put off having it done. Now the pain is so bad, I can't put it off any longer. I would like to find out if anyone knows the answer to the following question. With the pain pump implant, would an individual be able to play golf? Thanks for any help.
Ray
Old 03-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Ray, I'm so sorry about your history of failed surgeries. I know several people with pumps implanted. For some, they are magic and allow them to be somewhat functional instead of totally disabled. For others, the experience with the pump is much like what we experience with our oral pain meds. It takes the edge off, but does not really allow you to be functional.

I've had many clients who were declared to be 'no-hopers' that have ultimately found relief. Contact me off the forum and I'll let you know more about some of them. The pain pump may be your best options, but your reluctance to take that step us wise and understandable. Like I said... it may be your best option, but it seems like something of a last resort. Discover all your options before you leap.

Good luck!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-05-2007, 02:36 AM

Mark did you get the e-mail I sent to you? I sent it to the e-mail address listed.
Ray
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Default golf and pumps

To answer your question about golf and pumps the off the record answer is yes, you can play. I have several patients who do. I'd let your doctor know, however, as mine seem to just mention it in passing after the surgery. The reason is that your pain doc may want to afford you some more "slack" in the catheter at the time of surgery and pick the appropriate side for your implant according to whether you have a left or right handed swing. Most pain anesthesiologists anchor the excess catheter loosely in the pocket of the pump to allow for some twisting and bending by the paient. The catheter tract from the back incision to the abdominal incision scars in so that there is reduced traction on the catheter when the patient moves. Obviously, you need to be careful and not flex or rotate too violently as you can certainly dislodge or fracture the cateter and I have seen it happen in patients who are not involved in "athletic" endeavors. This puts you at great risk of withdraw if the fracture goes undetected...only you can decide if the risk is worth it. I'd say many pain doctors would advise against such activities, but I see a decided difference in my patients' well-being when they can recapture some of the activities that make them happy...not to mention the health benefits of not just sitting around all day. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Intrathecal Pain Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindoc View Post
To answer your question about golf and pumps the off the record answer is yes, you can play. I have several patients who do. I'd let your doctor know, however, as mine seem to just mention it in passing after the surgery. The reason is that your pain doc may want to afford you some more "slack" in the catheter at the time of surgery and pick the appropriate side for your implant according to whether you have a left or right handed swing. Most pain anesthesiologists anchor the excess catheter loosely in the pocket of the pump to allow for some twisting and bending by the paient. The catheter tract from the back incision to the abdominal incision scars in so that there is reduced traction on the catheter when the patient moves. Obviously, you need to be careful and not flex or rotate too violently as you can certainly dislodge or fracture the cateter and I have seen it happen in patients who are not involved in "athletic" endeavors. This puts you at great risk of withdraw if the fracture goes undetected...only you can decide if the risk is worth it. I'd say many pain doctors would advise against such activities, but I see a decided difference in my patients' well-being when they can recapture some of the activities that make them happy...not to mention the health benefits of not just sitting around all day. Hope this helps.
Yes, PainDoc, you have given me great peace of mind. Thank you so much. And I'll be sure and talk to my doc about this on my next visit.

Ray