Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Disc Transplants from organ donors! in the Main forums forums; This is VERY interesting. It was just sent to me by a SpecMike (the guy who had cervical fusion hardware ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Default Disc Transplants from organ donors!

This is VERY interesting. It was just sent to me by a SpecMike (the guy who had cervical fusion hardware explanted and had the fusion converted to ADR. He's doing well and I hope he'll come along and post an update.

Source for this article is an article at www.dailymail.co.uk (link works at posting time.)

World's first 'spinal transplant' carried out
by JENNY HOPE

The spinal transplant: Improves mobility

Victims of chronic back pain were offered fresh hope with news of successful 'spinal transplant' surgery.

Spinal discs from accident victims were transplanted into patients with disc degeneration in the cervical spine, the area nearest the neck.

All reported improvements in their mobility and a reduction in symptoms such as weakness of the legs and bladder.

A report in The Lancet says the pioneering treatment, carried out in China, offers hope for thousands of sufferers of severe disc problems, particularly young people.

They often cannot be helped by existing treatments such as spinal fusion - which surgically joins bones in the spine, making them rigid - or artificial material to replace the defective discs.

In some cases these methods cause further degeneration of the discs above and below the area most affected.

Although disc transplants have been carried out in primates, it is the first time doctors have reported such surgery in humans.

The discs, known as the shock absorbers of the spine, consist of cartilage that cushions the individual movements of vertebral bones.

When the discs wear away or are damaged by disease, the bones press on nerves, which can cause pain and restrict movement.

Degenerative disc disease can produce serious problems with balance and mobility as well as neurological problems such as loss of bladder control.

Nia Taylor, chief executive of Back Care, said last night: 'It would be very interesting to read the full details because there are a minority of people for whom a problem with discs does not naturally get better.

"Some suffer excruciating pain and we would welcome any new treatment that can help."

The disc transplants were carried out by doctors at the Navy General Hospital, Beijing, and the University of Hong Kong.

They used 13 discs taken from women between 20 and 30. The discs were frozen and thawed out prior to transplant into a woman and four men aged 41 to 56.

Within three months the donor discs had successfully bedded in with existing spinal disc tissue.

Now, five years later, all the patients still show improvement and none has rejected the donor material. Surgeon

Dike Ruan said there were some signs of mild disc degeneration but the spinal area involved remained mobile.

He said: "With further refinements, such transplants could be an effective treatment for degenerative disc disease."

But Dr Ruan admitted it would be a "challenge" to extend the technique-to the lower spine - where the majority of disc problems occur - because of anatomical problems and the immense loading pressures on this area.

Since the first patients were given transplants, the team has treated another group using modified techniques.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 03-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Interesting

I read this article also, as I get the Daily Mail. I got excited until I saw about the possible difficulties with lumbar spine, because of the excessive loading in that region. It is a very exciting move though, and I imagine many patients would be very glad of a possible 10-15 years relief, even if they did not know the outcome after that time! I wonder what the psychological effect would be. I imagine it might put a few people off, although not the truly 'desperate for relief' patients. A relative of mine had a heart transplant, (aged 24), and although she subsequently died just over a year later, having refused a second attempt, she did admit to experiencing a short while of feeling better than she could ever remember, in her short life, so I guess that also was some kind of a result!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:48 AM

Default hope

For my cervical spine which feels like it's wearing down as well as lumbar~ will be interesting to see what happens over time w/these transplants