Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Cervical Fusion in the Main forums forums; I visited a neurosurgeon last week and he recommended cervical fusion procedure for C5-6 and C6-7. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 11:28 PM

Question Cervical Fusion

I visited a neurosurgeon last week and he recommended cervical fusion procedure for C5-6 and C6-7. I have degenerative disc disease and a herniated disc plus some arthritic spurs. My symptoms are neck stiffness and spasms on a daily basis. I am seeing a second neurosurgeon next week for a second opinion.

Honestly I am very scared of having a fusion, since I heard that it could decrease the mobility and flexibility of the neck also put additional strain and load on the other discs (C2-3 & C4-5).

Has anyone had a cervical fusion done or do you know of someone who has? If the answer is yes, could you confirm or refute the above and would you kindly share your experience (positive or negative) with me - I need to make the best educated decision possible about cervical fusion surgery before I have it done so I don't have regrets later.

Your input would be appreciated - thanks in advance and God bless.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:33 PM
Administrator

I know a lot of people with cervical fusions, some very successful and some much less than successful. A single-level cervical fusion is a good operation with good outcomes. Even so, for me, I'd choose motion preservation over fusion if I was a good candidate. Multi-level fusions really amplify the risk of adjacent level degeneration. I know many people with good short-term results, but 3-4-5 years later, they are having more surgery at adjacent levels.

Please note that ADR does not insure against adjacent level degeneration... it just reduces the risk. Also note that studies have not yet proven this to be true.

Good luck,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-07-2007, 01:30 AM

Default c5-c6-c7 fusion with cage and plate remove it?

have had nothing but bad come from this not able to work now witch is 3 years after surgery
question can the titanium plate screws and hardware be removed love to here from anybody thanks jim
Old 04-07-2007, 01:39 AM

Default myself i had it done 3 years ago and now i can,t work

i ad it done same disks titatium cage remveal of disks it,s been 3 years and the pain and swelling has kept me from working.and get use to the idea your neorosurgeon is a god and never makes a misstake so your not gonna get help there jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragopian View Post
I visited a neurosurgeon last week and he recommended cervical fusion procedure for C5-6 and C6-7. I have degenerative disc disease and a herniated disc plus some arthritic spurs. My symptoms are neck stiffness and spasms on a daily basis. I am seeing a second neurosurgeon next week for a second opinion.

Honestly I am very scared of having a fusion, since I heard that it could decrease the mobility and flexibility of the neck also put additional strain and load on the other discs (C2-3 & C4-5).

Has anyone had a cervical fusion done or do you know of someone who has? If the answer is yes, could you confirm or refute the above and would you kindly share your experience (positive or negative) with me - I need to make the best educated decision possible about cervical fusion surgery before I have it done so I don't have regrets later.

Your input would be appreciated - thanks in advance and God bless.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Jim, thanks for posting your story. Sadly, with spine surgery... many horror stories abound. Can you please post more details? Did you get relief from the surgery and then get bad again later? Are your current symptoms the same as your old symptoms? Did you have complications?

Do you have any options now?

Thanks,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-07-2007, 01:01 PM

I had a cervical fusion at 5-6 10 months ago. The surgeon used a Peek cage, which is some kind of "plastic"...polyether. No screws or rods. The cage was filled with a material to induce bone growth.

I'm not completely painfree; but much much better; and I've gotten a good deal of my life back. But it took me a long time to recover; so for me this was no easy surgery.

Motion preserving surgery was not available for me in Norway; but for just one level; fusion is not that bad.

I just recently saw a Norwegian study that one level cervical fusion doesn't cause unnormal movement on the adjacent levels; and therefore can't be blamed for adjacent disc disease if that should develop. I'm sure there are other studies that have come to another conclusion though.

The advantage of using peek cage is that it doesn't create artefacts on MRI; and that the material has about the same strength as natural bone so it is less likely to subside.