Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Getting anxious and have questions in the Main forums forums; It has gotten down to crunch time. My case has been described as complex; Dr. Fenk-Mayer said Dr. Bertagnoli ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Question Getting anxious and have questions

It has gotten down to crunch time. My case has been described as complex; Dr. Fenk-Mayer said Dr. Bertagnoli would like to do discography with possible ADR surgery the next day. Is it unusual to go to Germany without any idea what may be done? How about payment? Hopefully, I will have an appointment date in the next week or so.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:47 PM

relax zippo
i am sure you will get fixed they want to be sure to get the pain generator. then fixed on the following day.
they will email back with dates and payment info you wire funds to cc consulting. if you dont need as much work they will refund the diff.
chuck
you may want to try to get a date like 8 wks or more out to save on airfare big time.
facet block neg
lost all appeals BCBS 5 months of that
3 surgeons later
surgery with dr. bertagnoli aug 2nd 2006 in Bogen Germany Successfully ProDisc-L L-4 L-5
Old 04-15-2007, 03:16 AM

I would feel odd too not knowing. Personally, I'd try to have the MRI province-side but maybe that's not easily done STAT. Good luck - Allan
Old 04-17-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks for your replies, Chuck and Allan. I'm still waiting for an appointment date and trying to be patient. Now that I've made the decision to have surgery, I just want it done and over with. I've become a virtual shut-in the last 6 months. Trying to book another MRI here is next to impossible and the wait time is ridiculous. I figure whatever testing I require might as well be done at Pro-Spine. That way Dr. Bertagnoli can get the specific info. he needs.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:34 PM

Default re your case

Zippo,
I've had opinions from Dr.Bertagnoli's office 3 times I think by way of communication w/Dr.Fenk-Mayer. I've always been impressed with their effort put forth in terms of communication w/the potential client/patient and would imagine it would be even better in person.

So if it were me and I had the $$ to go there and didn't have WC reigning over my case, I'd be out the door in a flash, on my way to Germany, and getting the best possible opinion I think is out there as well as treatment.

My opinion is only based on the way I was treated via sending my info to Dr.B and getting a well informed response each time. Apparently my case is very slam dunk as far as what surgery would be needed and could be performed.
Of course, discogram pending that is~ your case however sounds like it is something the doctors need to check out up front and personal~ and then render an opinion.

I like your plan, I'd stick with it~
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Hi Maria
My injury is work-related. It's been an 18 year battle with WC that just goes on and on. I will be applying for reimbursement through the provincial health plan, though I doubt they will cover it. I have also requested WC cover it. Since I am the one living with this, my hubby and I decided my quality of life comes first. It means we have to refinance our house and drive our old vehicles longer and borrow from my family, but I (and WE) get my life back. Hopefully, I will be able to return to work. I hope things work out for you as well.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 AM

Default re WC

Zippo,
My case is very old, in fact, since 1982. I have future medical benefits which has covered 2 surgeries to date and care for my spine over the years. Since 2001 I started pain meds and the care has been much more regular than it was before as it used to be pretty much just for the 2 surgeries and some care after the 2nd one failed.

WC will pay for my surgery here but not abroad and if I choose to go abroad for surgery, my future med benefits will end effectively (WC is looking to settle this all out eventually and I think would like me to hurry up and have the surgery, get better and then do this).

I still think your plan sounds even more excellent getting past the WC BS!