Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss L4-S1 ProDisc revision to fusion. in the Main forums forums; This is a wonderful post for me to write. I've mentioned this person on other threads. c4-5 fusion ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default L4-S1 ProDisc revision to fusion.

This is a wonderful post for me to write. I've mentioned this person on other threads.

c4-5 fusion 2003 - successful.

For years, episodic low back pain would lay her up for days or weeks, several times / year.

Early 2004, she underwent L4-S1 foraminotomy to address the eposidoc LBP. Before this surgery, she was fully functional, except during the episodes. Unfortunately, it was a disaster and since the surgery, she's had unrelenting leg pain. It started 1 week after surgery and continued ever since.

She was referred to another surgeon who did 2-level (L4-S1) ProDisc in late summer 2004. Recovery from the surgery was most difficult... she left the hospital in a walker and continued to use the walker ever since then. The surgery had no effect on the unrelenting let pain that started a week after her first lumbar surgery.

Her situation was, if she's still, her LBP subsides, if she's active it's severe. Leg pain is 24/7 on one side (always severe), but sometimes on both sides.

About 2 weeks ago, she had L4-S1 fusion, leaving ProDisc in place. Pedicle screws and flexible PEEK rods.

Late last week I was at an appointment with another client and bumped into her and her husband in the waiting room. NO WALKER. NO GRIMACE. NO SERIOUS LOOK ON HER HUSBAND'S FACE. Only smiles and joy.

It was only about 11 or 12 days post-op, so who knows the long-term outlook... but this looks wonderful now. We know that the source of her leg pain was addressed. We know that the possiblity for a full recovery exists. From where she was a couple of weeks ago, she could not be in better shape now.

She said something to me that only someone who's been there can understand... "I don't know how long this will last, but doing the surgery was already worth it... just to feel this way for a week!"

Wishing her continued success! I hope she'll come here and post update. I'm sho happy to post this wonderful news.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Great news
I truly hope her success story is long-term - It sounds like she's due some good luck.
Am I allowed to ask who did the revision surgery??
All the best
Tim
Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Regan did the revision.... more details will have to come directly from the patient if she wants to come and post.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 PM

Mark, I sure hope you can get her to post.
Experiencing a day like you described has pretty much become just a dream around here.

Bob
Old 04-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Default revision results

I love reading posts like this~ esp. when it involves fusion...
So wonderful to hear that someone could have a relief of symtoms with a revision and I do hope the relief continues and just gets better and better!
Like Bob, I hope this person will eventually post here~ meanwhile, best wishes with continued recovery!