Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iSpine Discuss Prolotherapy and Sacroiliac issues in the Main forums forums; Hi Justed wanted to post my experience with Prolotherapy post-ADR, in case anyone else is interested or can benefit. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2007, 01:10 AM

Default Prolotherapy and Sacroiliac issues

Hi

Justed wanted to post my experience with Prolotherapy post-ADR, in case anyone else is interested or can benefit.

My recovery from ADR surgery was long and slow, and therefore my doc and I started investigating other pain generators that may have been exisiting concurrently with my bad l5-S1 disc. My back was much better: relatively pain free, feeling stronger and more flexible. However, I could not get rid of a portion of my pain specifically located right over my SI joint, and often radiated into the hip and thigh. Bending would feel a "pull" against this specifc spot. It definitely limited me.

Through some diagnostic injections it became suspect that my SI joint was inflammed and/or out of alignment. There is an excellent DELPHI forum on SI joint problems. If anyone is interested in checking it out go to kalindra.com and click on the link to sacroiliac resources. On that forum I learned a lot about specific exercises to ge the SI joint back into alignment, temporarily using a compression belt to keep it in place, and getting prolotherapy injections to strenghten the supporting ligaments to keep in it place. It took most of a full year, but my SI joint was fine after that.

Prolotherapy is not cheap, and not covered by insurance as it is considered an "alternative" treatment. SI joint problems seem to respond well to it. Docs use it for other spinal issues, but I am not sure what the outcomes are on that intended use.

If you suspect SI problems, check it out. On the sacroiliac joint resources site there are a number of prolotherapy doctors listed accross the country.

I recently had a setback, 4 years from my surgery. I freaked out and thought the disc was damaged or I had damaged another disc. None of that happened. Seems the doc suspects a flare-up of my notorious SI joint. So back to prolotherapy I go. Could be worse

Laurel
Old 04-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Default SI joint info

Laurel,
thanks for your post ~ going to check out the SI joint info/exercises~ On prolotherapy I've a friend who had treatments years back and also felt they were successful in relieving some low back pain she suffered and has not had a recurrence of this particular type of pain (has had more prob w/thoracic pain). She had mentioned it to be expensive and not covered by insurance but felt it worth the $ in her case.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Prolo Doc's

I too have SI problems and have had for some time.The problem is doctors in this country focus on the spine and not SI. I saw many DR's for lower back pain and was told everything from fusion is the treatment to rest and you will be fine. I started doing prolo about two months ago and must say it has reduced my pain at least 50-60%. Here is a good website to find prolo doc's.

www.getprolo.com
http://www.gracelifemedical.com/
http://www.prolotherapy.org/

Best regards to all,john.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Prolotherapy with platelet-rich plasma - new stuff

For those who have ligament and tendon issues which could possibly respond to prolotherapy, you might want to look up articles on new uses for platelet rich plasma. This stuff is basically a concentrate of your own blood platelets that can be injected into areas which require healing or disinfection. It has been used for years in dental surgery and most recently as an aide to knee meniscal transplantation. In prolotherapy it is used in lieu of the standard proliferant solution. Worth checking out in the literature.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Thanks, yes that is true about plasma. There is only three Prolo Doctors in the US that treat with Plasma Rich Platlets(PRP). My Best friend is a PA for heart surgery and he tells me that they use Plasma Platlet paste often along with it in normal form. The prolo DR I see uses PRP and he claims you heal 50% faster, I will try my next visit on the 16th of May so hopefully I will be able to to report great results in the future. Best regards,John.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:18 AM

Thanks for the info about the plasma. That's news to me. You mentioned only 3 in the US do it? Could you say who? I am going back to my prolotherapist on Thursday to re-start treament and I will ask about it.
I'll also google it and see what comes up. Thanks
Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 PM

No problem these are the doctors I know of.

http://www.prolotherapyaz.com/prolo_plus.htm

http://www.prolotherapynashville.com...consist_of.php This is my doctor.

http://caringmedical.com/therapies/prolotherapy.asp This is a friend of my doctor and he tells me he now uses it.

Also here is a website that explains what PRP is and what it's uesd for.
http://www.plateletgel.net/aboutprpN.htm
Old 05-03-2007, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the links. I have bookmarked them. Prolo is working well for you then? It has worked well for me in the past, (after ADR) although it took a long time to see the results. I screwed things up again and am hoping prolo can get me back to when I was. Maybe I should have never stopped the treatments, just decreased. Perhaps staying on the program so to speak would keep the ligamnents strong and tight and not let them loosen again. Maybe some of us need the "lifetime plan"?

My prolo docs is Bjorn Eek. He has a practice in Northern and Southern California. I dont think he follows the Hackett method, but he is one of the "big names" the the field. His treatments worked for me.

Laurel
Old 05-03-2007, 03:52 PM

Well, I don't think one would need a lifetime plan. The idea is to get the joint strong again so the motion is small and the soft tissue not longer presents pain from being overstreched. I did prolo on my shoulder 3 yrs ago for a dislocation and I have'nt needed one post the 4th treatment and I have no pain with normal range of motion.How many shots do get for the SI, I think I receive about 35-45. The last treatment he used a very small amount of growth hormones which really worked well. I prefer the cod liver oil over p2g, it just works better for me maybe you could ask about it for you.

For me the SI become unstable due to a major strain of the lower back, so just doing the SI ligiments don't work for me the doctor treats from the l-4 down. The reason is Hackett found the stability of the lower spine greatly effects the SI and vice versa. I think it make perfect sense if you study the biomechanics of the pelvic region. The trick to getting over an SI problem is not bend or lift anything greater than 10-20 lbs and evoid twisting. Always correct you SI 2-3 times a day so you can heal better. I also swim every day for about an hour, I have found if you swim on your back and just kick that it works the lower back thus making it stonger and provides me relief.

The corrections for the SI are one the kalindra website, I only use one because I found with the muscle strain that doing the whole routine hurts more than it helps. The correction Iuse is the one were on is on their back and pulls the knees up to the chest while grabbing you knees and push you upward with you knees works well for me.

Keep in mind that Dr. Hauser says that most SI patients need 4-6 treartments so if your doctor uses less solution per treatment you make need more than 4-6. I'm on my second and now have the SI subluxation under control, also the treatment continue to heal months after so the big jump in pain relief may not show face in months to come. I plan on doing a min of 6 treatments about 5 weeks apart so it will require so patientance. I would rather take a year of healing with prolo than an SI fusion, just read some of the forums on the SI formus you mentioned in your first thread. It's very ugly and most never lead a better life from what I read.

This website explains about the different solutions.
http://www.prolotherapy.org/prolothe...-injection.asp

Best regards,John

Last edited by elias2117; 05-03-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM

Any updates?
C4-5: Mild disc height loss with central annular fissure. Small broad-based left paracentral disc protrusion. Moderate central canal stenosis-the disc protrusion abuts and mildly flattens the left ventral surface of the spinal canal.

C5-6: Disc desiccation with mild height loss.Diffuse discosteophyte bulge and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy, moderate central canal stenosis- Severe neuroforaminal stenosis bilaterally, right greater than left.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM

I've been on nabumetone 500 mg before one month and now reduce dosage. It has reduced my pain gradually.
Severe joint pain caused by arthritis. Nabumetone medication belongs to a class of medications known as NSAIDs and works by reducing the effects of hormones that cause pain and inflammation in the body. Now feels better.