Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss update on my spine in the Main forums forums; Not one from a physician. Another one from me. I walked for 2 hours on Sunday around town. Have been ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM

Default update on my spine

Not one from a physician. Another one from me.

I walked for 2 hours on Sunday around town. Have been walking daily half hour walk at least rapid by self and several dog walks usually with one that is an hour and ends my being out for the day. Lots of stops with that one and at a leisurely pace so re exercise doubt it's worth that much.

So after the 2 hour Sunday walk I bent over from the waist to put food on one of my cat's plate. Ouch! Electric jolt thru mid low back. Immediately stiffen up and think "oh sh*t!"

So my left side over left hip was really sore. Felt like nerve caught somewhere threaded there and just a really crappy kinda pain. Have had it many times before tho not for a long time (over a year at least). Got worse as the night progressed. Worse after sleeping. When I got up Monday I could hardly get down to put food on cat's plates. Knees aren't at their greatest either early a.m. (hard to bend and hard to squat) Walking Lola was difficult that morning.

Came home and to get on computer I decided to squat at desktop. Seemed to have stretched out the irriated part of whatever and was able to do more things (thought I'd be in bed reesting flat). As day went on I was able to do more.

Evening dog walk. Ouch. 1 hour long. At the end of the walk stopped at local liquor store and bought a bottle of white wine. Had a few glasses at home while watching TV as that seems to act as CNS (central nervous system) relaxer and hopefully thus relaxing musculature.

This morning. Less pain. Way more mobile. Able to bend over without a prob. Still some burning pain in that same area. Stayed on my feet for the whole day doing various errands such as going to Petco, Home Depot, laundramat and walking the dog.

No real pain to speak of. I think my back is even better than it used to be at recuperating from this kind of pain!

My own guess would be that the autofusion of L5S1 has greatly helped me and that L4 still is "touchy" tho thankfully this little episode is short lived thus far. Then again perhaps it's not disc in origin but rather something relatedto facets? Then again I was bending forward when it happened so probably disc related or musculature just spasming.

Whatever it is I'm thankful it's short lived, at least thus far. No additional drugs (other than a it of alcohol last night) and my usual pain medicine in a.m.. I know I know re mixing drugs and ETOH. Doesn't happen often or with anything too strong tho musculature does seem to relax greatly with a glass or two of wine. That's about as far as I take it.

My body has astounded me in the last 5 years compared to all that I went thru for such a long time re failed post 2nd spine surgery in '92. Have faith people. Time may be too slow a healer for many tho for me it's given me such a reprieve.

Last edited by Maria; 09-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Maria,

We all have the uh oh moments. Years of pain have conditioned us this way. For most of these times, 'it's not a tuma' but just a headache as it was in this case, thankfully!

You always seem to overdo and still come out just fine. BTW, how's your nausea?

Dale
Old 09-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Default re nausea

Dale,
I guess I didn't think I was overdoing since I have been walking everyday for exercise and then several plus times/day w/Lola. Then again I do bend straight from the waist more than I should for someone that has had disc probs. It just doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I will say that evening that I was really hurting on the left side I used a cane in the apt. to get around esp. at night getting up to go to the BR.

Nausea is gone. Has been for several days now. I had taken to eating some sweet potatoe fries prior to onset of nausea which when having eaten them out I felt sick but I think it's because I have some difficulty with fried foods so thought if I bought frozen ones and cooked them in the oven that should be OK. Might have been the fruit juices or V8 too at nighttime w/laxatives. I do like to see if elimination or change in diet can be helpful re GI "stuff."

Have switched to GingerAle at night followed by cup of Chamomile tea and have done fine. Eating a smaller dinner as well.

So not sure if it was something transient or ? but I haven't had any nausea the last few days and am feeling good.

I'll make a doctors appt. if it happens again. Thanks for asking! Maria
Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator

I have reviewed your case with several leading surgeons. They all recommend margaritas!
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 09-29-2011, 03:51 AM

I love Mark's response.
Maria , you did overdo it after the oh moment. I seem to be better at resting these days, so you should really consider this if it ever happens again.
glad everything is ok
judy

2007 ACDF 4-7
2008 hip , knee scope, hip replacement
2009 thoracic T-5 thru T-11fusion
2009 VATS T7-8, posterior only T11-12. removal of thoracic hard wear
2010 lung surgery
2010 T2-L2 kyphosis correction
2010 Kyphoplasty T-3, T-4
2011 Cervical osteotomy ,revision C4-T5
2011 Foot surgery
2011 Revision fusion T7 thru L4/laminectomy
2012 Hammertoe correction left foot
2012 Revision fusion T-12 thru L5
2012 Revision fusion L4-L5
Old 09-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Default re leading spine surgeon recommendations

Mark,
Finally recommendations which I completely agree to and am willing to schedule ASAP! How about the company of a spine advocate and some other spineys to make sure they're administered in adequate quanity!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM

Maria,

Using a cane to get around sounds like some pretty serious pain. Right now, my pain level is high but no where near needing walking assistance. Then again, I really can't walk any distance because of the nerve pain in my leg and feet. But, if I did need assistance, it would be to get to the phone to call my doctor.

I assume, most of this pain has resolved itself?

Dale
Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 PM

Default the cane

Dale,
Used it at night only for the whatever night/a.m. hours pain was made worse by lying still. I used it for support. Once up and about moving around the pain was markedly reduced to almost nil. I am not sure if I took my pain med today because I started off the day getting up an hour later and some other things seem to just pile on so have noticed when I'm resting the pain isn't bad but it's there in the left hip. When moving around/walking/standing/doing whatever it feels better. Have been pretty active so am not complaining at all.

Need to get out for my walk and Lola's walks again. No cane necessary