Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Dynesys stabilization in the Main forums forums; I am new here so I hope I do this right! I had a dynesys soft fusion (no bone graft) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 04:55 AM

Question Dynesys stabilization

I am new here so I hope I do this right! I had a dynesys soft fusion (no bone graft) done the end of Feb. I am trying to find anyone who has had this done successfully. It seems this is fairly new in the US and I am not finding too much information on the post op period. I am having a great deal of pain in my back and some leg pain, although my leg pain has improved some. I just want to know if this is normal for this procedure. My surgeon is wonderful but as surgeons go, he only wants the positive information and gets a little defensive about the negative. I used to work with him and I don't know how to tell him that so far I am worse than pre-op. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 AM

Dear Fireyangel,

Welcome to the forum. I have seen an occasional patient here and there on the spiney support forums at various stages of recovery and varying degrees of success at those points in time. I wish I could tell you more, but I don't have the information in front of me.

Mark will probably come by soon. He has a lot of insights to offer with the new spine technology. He may be able to connect you with someone on here that has been through the same procedure.

Has your back pain and activity levels improved from pre-surgical levels? (other than the leg pain?)
Old 05-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Poncho....I don't feel so alone here. My back pain and activity levels are worse post surgery. I am hoping this is just a phase that I have to go through. I will say that my pain is nil if I lay in bed but as soon as I try to be upright for 30 min or so, I get pain in my back and the tuning fork feeling in both feet. I am so tired of this bed! I wish I would have found this sight pre-op. I may have opted for the ADR that was offered.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Default welcome

Betsy,
Welcome to the forum..
I don't know anything that could be helpful to you except to say you're still early in terms of your post op course. Sometimes things turn around/change at some point so just hang in there and hopefully Mark will come along and reply to this post as he probably is the most informed person here to address this other than someone that had the procedure.
take care and hang in there, stay w/us ~ Maria
Old 05-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Can you explain the term (soft fusion) when they use the dynesis device for lumber stablization. I have facet issues at L5S1 and i have a Charite disc at L5S1 as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 AM

A soft fusion uses a system of screws, rods, and flexible bands. It stabilizes the spine but still allows motion at that levels. It also acts as a spacer and thus takes pressure off the nerve roots. It does not use a bone graft. It is supposed to avoid the complication of stressing the other levels of the spine when a bone fusion is done. Check out the zimmer spine site. They have a lot of information there on the dynesys systrem.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:19 AM

Default dynesis info

Thanks for the information. I will check it out
Old 05-30-2007, 07:05 AM

Smile update

I am now 14 weeks post op from the dynesys stabilization at l5-s1. I am not having too much pain anymore except after doing some repetitve bending...like putting dishes in the dish washer or getting clothes out of the washer. I am able to go on my treadmill and make it about 20 min at a moderate walking pace. I am having alot of parethesias bilaterally, especially in my feet and worse when sitting or lying down.
I am glad I had this surgery because it is a posterior approach and it basically didn't change my anatomy. If needed (and I hope I never need it) I can in the future have a fusion or an ADR. At this point I have hope that this is going to do the trick.
I am also off most meds except occasional vicodin and newly started paxil...hey there is a suprise..a back patient with depression!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Default re recovery

Betsy,
Thank you for the update on your recovery. Very glad to hear that you've had improvement in pain levels and activity and hope your new spine continues on this trend to allow you to return to a fully active lifestyle!
Please keep us updated if you've time as it's good to hear how the differing spinal technologies work for people~
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 AM

Default reply

The Dynesys Stabilization System is great in theory...it provides a flexible fixation system that was designed to try and circumvent the problem many standard fusion patients experience with "wearing out" the discs above and below the area of fusion. This occurs because axial and rotational forces normally applied to the fused segment are transfered to the adjacent levels. There has been a lot of success with the Dynesys, but because it is not widely performed in the US, we are just now starting to see the problems with this system. Namely, the pedicle screws are coming loose. I seems that the continued motion in the affected segment has overcome the engineering in the present pedicle screw. This would obviously be the thing to look for on down the line.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 AM

Thanks paindoc for the clarification for those who aren't familiar with the dynesys system. I am 4 mos post op and I had some good days and was getting back on the treadmill for a few weeks there, but now I am not doing so well. Some times I get so frustrated with all of this. I suppose I could live like this and manage the pain with meds, but I would rather get better and go back to being a nurse as well as feeling like a productive human being in general. I have not found any one else to speek with who has had the dynesys stabilization surgery so I guess I'll just keep posting here and keep everyone informed about my results incase others are considering this procedure. So far I think I am no better than before surery...but my dr says 6 months to a year..standard answer! I guess I am the test subject. I just wonder how all the US patients from the trials are doing now. I would like to have some hope!