Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss Cervical Burst Fracture - 1 year - no surgery SUCCESS! in the Main forums forums; I just sent this update to my chiropractor one year after my accident. I had a severe burst compression fracture ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 03:04 AM

Default One year after C7 compression fracture

I just sent this update to my chiropractor one year after my accident. I had a severe burst compression fracture of C7. I escaped surgery by good fortune.

Andrew.

Hello Dr. Hunt,

I am writing to update you on the situation with my neck – a year after seeing you. My neck is doing very well. I have no pain and full mobility. Now, a year after my accident, I feel that I am healed.

Attached are pictures of my original CT scan and MRI plus the latest x-ray which I had taken about two weeks ago at the University of Iowa.

After visiting you I went and saw Dr. Hitchon, a neurosurgeon at the University of Iowa Neurosurgery department. I saw you one month after the accident and Dr. Hitchon about two months after the accident. He listed about seven criteria for surgery (such as pain, instability, neurological deficit etc) and I did not meet any of them. Since I was not in much pain and could use my neck he said he would not perform the surgery.

However, he did say that he would have performed surgery if I had seen him within one week of the accident. He said in that case he would have felt some obligation to operate. If I'd arrived a bit later than one week he would have put me into a hard collar for 10 weeks, but since it had been two months he said that neither a hard collar nor surgery was necessary. When I arrived at the hospital I was expecting immediate traction and surgery but instead he advised me to go home and not lift anything heavy or strain my neck for 6 months.

After seeing him I went and saw Dr. Kirschner in Kahoka. I was having some hindrance with swallowing and he said this was because C1 and C2 were not moving freely. He adjusted it with a little device that looked like a stapler and the problem has never returned since.

I felt some minor residual strain in my neck and felt that I'd just have to live with it. However, I went and saw Michael Fleischman, a Myotherapist in Fairfield, about an unrelated injury. I told him about my neck and he gently massaged the muscles in my neck and all the tension and annoying ache between the vertebrae evaporated immediately. It was a miracle. The ache has not returned.

I experienced neurological deficit in a minor way in my hands and feet. Over time this became less and less. Now all deficit has gone.

The time prior to seeing the surgeon was a difficult for me because I wanted to be properly informed. I researched spinal injuries on the internet all day for about 3-4 weeks. I wanted to be informed before I went to see the neurosurgeon. I learnt a lot about spinal surgery. The Golden Rule is: “Don’t have surgery.” I also learnt the spinal fusions are lucrative for surgeons and they like to do them “just in case.” It is not clear if this is for their own benefit or to avoid possible litigation or genuinely for the patient’s benefit.

Choosing a good surgeon seemed to be paramount. I can highly recommend Dr. Hitchon as being highly qualified, very intelligent, professional and not motivated by money. His long biography can be found at http://www.radiology.uiowa.edu/RadOnc/hitchon.html

On the internet I found a man who is an advocate for spinal patients (see www.ispine.org for information and an online spine-patient community). He has contacts with top surgeons in Europe who perform artificial disc replacements and other options not available in USA. I emailed him some photos of my scans and he emailed them to six or seven top surgeons in Europe and USA for second opinions. All but one advised immediate surgery. One said, "If he's not in pain and has no problems two months after the accident, then why operate now? Let's wait and see what happens."

While waiting for a CT scan at the Fairfield hospital I met a man in the waiting room. He said that he’d had a car accident and subsequent fusion of C6-C7. He was in a lot of unrelenting pain that he didn’t have before the surgery. He begged me to avoid surgery if there was any possibility of not having it.

I am very glad that I did not have surgery and feel that the outcome from my accident has been miraculous. I am a strong believer in prayer and feel that divine intervention has helped achieve this happy outcome.

Thank you for your help last year. I was very grateful for your advice and support at a time when I really needed it.

Many thanks,

Andrew.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

My email to Andrew this morning....
Andrew,

I was so pleased to read your update on iSpine. People need to read more of these.

Please look at: "Back" into life without surgery! (Marcia's no surgery success)

Can I post your films to the thread so people can see what you are talking about. I've removed any identifying info... this will remain anonymous.

Do you have new films?

As you may have read... my wife and I are struggling with surgical decisions... Extrusion from one level to another!
...your bringing me back to Marcia's thread has helped!

Thanks for posting... all the best,

Mark
His reply
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your email. Thats very sad news about your wife. I have not been reading the other posts on iSpine so I didn't know about it. I hope she makes a quick and full recovery.

Attached is a photo of my latest x-ray. The x-ray on the right I am looking at the ceiling. There is very little, if any, movement in between C6-C7. Feel free to post all the scans on the web. I would have done it, but I didn't know that I could.

Is it possible to change to name of my post to "Successful recovery" or something like that so more people read it? I tried changing it but couldn't work out how to do it.

Best wishes,

Andrew.
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org
Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Default Cervical Burst Fracture - 1 year - no surgery SUCCESS!

Per Andrew... photos below.

Thanks for the good wishes... we saw the local doc this morning and will proceed with epidurals in the hope of avoiding surgery. Time will tell... he says about 50/50 on avoiding surgery with such a serious herniation.

Mark

1 year out... no surgery... symptoms as described above.

Last edited by mmglobal; 06-12-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:46 AM

What a remarkable journey to recovery! You seem to have found just the right doctors and treatments at just the right times. Thank you for sharing your experience and I am wishing you continued health!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:01 AM
Administrator

Bumping for Nicolette!