Go Back   ISPINE.ORG Forum > Main forums > iSpine
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iSpine Discuss 3-level ADR Dr. Bertagnoli & meeting Mark - very long! in the Main forums forums; I am 4 days post-op from my 3-level ADR with Dr. Bertagnoli. Everything went well and I can'...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 PM

Thumbs up 3-level ADR Dr. Bertagnoli & meeting Mark - very long!

I am 4 days post-op from my 3-level ADR with Dr. Bertagnoli. Everything went well and I can't believe how good I feel. They had some trouble managing my pain immediately post-op and I had painful muscle spasms in my lower back for the first 30 hours. Once the I.V. pain meds were discontinued and I was put on oral pain meds, I had much better pain control. I was unable to void post-op and my bladder was painfully distended so I was catheterized for about 8 hours. Due to the back spasms I was experiencing, I was very reluctant to take my first walk 24 hours post-op. With Sylvia, my physio and a nurse helping me get through the very painful task of arising, the short walk to the door of my room and back went uneventfully. I had a very good day yesterday. With the back spasms gone and the incision pain controlled, I was up for several strolls throughout the day.

Of course, I have to bring up the delicate subject of bowels. When Dr. Fenk-Mayer came in on Friday to see me, she was willing to discharge me without the mandatory bowel movement as I'm a nurse. I told her I would prefer to hang around another day or two just until I could get in and out of bed without the use of the bed rails, lie flat without pain and get myself on and off the toilet without the use of the bar. I had a great day yesterday, but the doc I saw wasn't ready to let me go without a poop, although I did have bowel sounds; nor would they feed me. Zupe, Zupe, Zupe, one poopie, no more zupe (soup)! So, being highly motivated and feeling great, I quickly drank down the three packages of laxatives mixed in water. As bubbly as my guts were feeling, they just wouldn't give into my pleads to at least break wind! I felt even better today and still feeling motivated, I quickly drank down the three more packages of laxative mixes they handed me. No luck, just gurgles. One of the nurses subtly left an enema on my pillow. WELL, yuck, but I was still determined. Being a nurse, I have had lots of practice on the giving end, virtually none on the receiving end, so of course I administered it to myself. Okay, I bet you think I exploded! Nope, I am now subjected to enema # 2 and this time, the nurse insisted it was her turn to give it a go. Well, we both had high hopes...! All I proudly managed was an itsy,bitsy, teeny, weeny dribble. But hey, now I get to eat and be discharged today.

The doc came by to see me this afternoon and I proudly told her I was ready for discharge. Oh... ,I saw her face drop. It seems my hemoglobin is not cooperating. Blood was drawn initially twice a day following surgery x 2 days, then once yesterday. I didn't pay much attention as it seemed the least of my worries, but I now recalled the reason was "to manage" my blood. Of course, Hgb count increasing after orthopedic surgery is a given. Apparently, mine is having a field day! The "normal" level is 0.8; my level is 18.5. Yup, that could be a problem, in fact a very serious problem. However, I try not to dwell on the negatives, so I am, as usual, optimistic. I walked hallways, did 22 stairs up and down 4x, took a walk outside, did my physio religiously and took only 30 to 40 minute breaks between activities to rest. More blood will be drawn tomorrow and hopefully, it will be back down to an acceptable level.

Two events truly amazed me today. First, my initial walk down the hall this morning, I stopped dead, realizing that my limp was gone, I forgot to grab my cane and the best, I had absolutely zero back pain!! The second event was my first attempt at stair climbing. For more than 1 1/2 years, I avoid stairs as much as possible as I would get the painful,radiating tingling numbness from low back, through both buttocks down to both feet. I climbed up a total of 88 stairs today without even missing a beat, but boy, am I out of shape !

Okay, Mark is a great guy as I am sure many of you are aware. I think the services he provides are awesome and wish I had known about him sooner. Mark arrived in Germany last weekend with a client. He stopped by Pension Schrieber in Bogen last Sunday evening just to say hello. I had contacted Mark late in the process of seeking ADR in Germany as I was not receiving emails from Pro-Spine(I.T. issues). He graciously intervened on my behalf and kept the info. flowing. Following my very painful, positive discogram on Monday, my husband and I went to Straubing for a new MRI under contrast and then on to St. Elisabeth for my appointment with Dr. Bertagnoli. I got to meet Mark face to face this time and we had a chance to get to know each other while we waited. That man is a walking encyclopedia of spine information! I was aware Mark was heading home early Saturday morning, so I was surprised and delighted to have him show up Friday evening for a visit and he came bearing gifts! The bouquet of flowers were beautiful and I sure lapped up that bottle of non-gassed water quickly. Unfortunately, I had taken my h.s. meds earlier, so I was pretty drowsy, but I sure appreciated him taking the time to drive to Bogen to see me. He is really good at what he does, especially for those without a medical background, as wading through the wealth of info. can be overwhelming. Mark, thank you so much. It was a pleasure meeting you and perhaps we will meet again! Deb
Old 06-25-2007, 01:05 AM

Deb,

Great news on your pain level, not so good on the other stuff but all will hopefully correct itself.

I agree with you about Mark and am glad he was able to keep it moving with Dr. B, a genius at what he does.

I too had poop problems but some of us do have more problems than others. It all works out with time but can feel like ages. I remember crying about it but then again, my emotions were on the surface. Everyone has their favorite laxative so try everything. My favorite is a lot of prunes per day along with mineral oil. Others like warm prune juice and ... We've had many discussions about this.

Just remember to take it slow. When you're feeling good, don't jump in the deep end... take it slow and easy.

My best to you, Dale
Old 07-08-2007, 06:55 PM

Hi Dale
Things are continuing to go well...except the darn bowel problem! I am sick to death of prune juice and Dulcolax tabs. I expect once I get home and on a diet of fruits and veggies, not to mention the Lactulose I didn't pack, things will improve. I have continuing numbness of my left 4 digits and right 3 digits of my feet which I can live with. The numbness (but no pain) in my left upper thigh is superficial and will probably improve with time, but again, I can live with it. I am feeling great and walking 3 to 4 k.m. daily. I had my follow-up appointment with Dr. Fenk-Mayer on Friday and she was surprised I am feeling so great. We head home on Thursday and I can hardly wait to walk my dog! Such a simple activity, but one I have been unable to do for more than a year. I go to bed at night and wake up every morning amazed and grateful I have NO backpain. I wish everyone was so lucky.
Best Wishes, Deb
Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Deb... thanks for the update.

Hopefully the numbness you are experiencing will fade in the weeks to come. Enjoy Munich... it's a wonderful city. If you want a flashback to the 60's... get to the English Garden... the scenes there remind me of the "love-in's" they had in Griffith Park back in the day. I'm told that the BBQ they have there is excellent... ribs and chicken... Southern style... Someone who was growing very tired of the German food told me how happy they were to discover the BBQ. Unfortunately, the Glockenspiel is under repair (or was a few weeks ago) and is covered by scaffolding and windscreens. Frauenkirsche should not be missed. Dinner at the Glockenspiel Cafe is reasonably priced and is always good. Prime-time... you'll have trouble getting a table, but they do take reservations. A table by the window with a surreal evening sky over the Munich skyline makes for an excellent experience.

Here is the photo you had titled, "The King and I"

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 07-08-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Trip OK? Home yet?
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org